32/36 DGV Accelerator Pump

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
PMCS Rally
Supporter

32/36 DGV Accelerator Pump

Post by PMCS Rally »

First, let me say I cannot thank enough to all active members in this forum. It took 12 years but my '71 510 is now getting very close to go beyond the nearby gas station. Trying to clear one hurdle at a time....

I have a difficulty in acceleration. Stock L18 with 32/36 with manual choke. Idling is stable around 800 rpm with 5 degrees advanced (is this good? - manual says 5 degree retard). Gas strainer is clean. Gas is good. Plugs burning clean. When I step on gas pedal at some point, it sounded like too much gas killing a spark (I hope you know what I mean). I turn the gas pedal linkage and when I rev up a drip of gas coming from accelerator pump of 32/36. I checked around and I am suspecting diaphragm failure of the Accelerator Pump (not giving a gas at acceleration??). This 32/36 is 6 years old but very much in my garage and very low mileage.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
James

Re: 32/36 DGV Accelerator Pump

Post by James »

You should be getting a stream of gas when you hit the accelerator. A drip is good indication of a bad pump.
Finished is better than perfect......
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Re: 32/36 DGV Accelerator Pump

Post by PMCS Rally »

Thank you for your comment.

I opened Accelerator Pump and think it was possibly by a defective diaphragm. Plunger part was positioned off centered on gasket and not seating properly. This carburetor is still "like new" condition and I did not expect the failure. New replacement part was ordered.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners