Did 510 have rear swaybar originally?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
redvx1

Did 510 have rear swaybar originally?

Post by redvx1 »

Quick question. Did the 510 sedan come original with a rear sway bar?
As I tear apart my car I’ve found Mulholland by Interpart strut inserts and orange colored paint under resprayed rear shocks. I’m guessing the rear sway bar I have is aftermarket from early on as well…

Thanks.
Curt
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Did 510 have rear swaybar originally?

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Curt,

No, the 510 never came with a rear bar.

The Mulholland suspension " package was the early attempt to upgrade our 510's rather soft family car ride.

The front and rear bars, the shocks and of course the springs sure helped in those days. The springs in reality were just Nissan off the shelf heavy duty ones for taxi service if I remember correctly, just a slightly stiffer spring rate.

The rear bar was to try to deal with the horrendous understeer of the stock 510, which in someways it did.

In reality, when the car was pushed hard, the shocks showed they were not really up to the task...and this must be thought of in the context of what crappy tires were available then. When I started racing on this setup, actually Solo use on a very high speed track, the body roll was nuts still, passable on the street, again depending on how aggressive a driver you were and available traction.

As I progressed and the power in my car, plus setup, I ran NO rear bar as I could induce oversteer with the throttle. Not many here in B.C. run a rear bar.

I still recommend, with a BIG front bar, that one tries the car first and see what it wants to do. A sudden, oversteering 510 can be death for both car and driver in some situations. Last thing you want when going into a fast sweeper and then lift throttle, is "trailing throttle oversteer".
Attachments
BRE Interpart ad_000108 (Large).jpg
BRE Interpart ad_000108 (Large).jpg (303.36 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
redvx1

Post by redvx1 »

Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah, when I pulled the inserts out I did some research about Interpart. When I bought this car back in 97 I guessed it was just bone stock. It’s been good to tear it apart and learn more about its history.

Thanks,
Curt
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I have posted this before, so sorry if is boring now. This is the Interpart suspension in all it's glory. I have Formula Atlantic front tires on the car, we used to buy them from the racers at Westwood race track for 20 -25 bucks each depending on wear. They were their "qualifier" tires. In reality the sidewalls were way too soft for a car like ours with the front weight, but they were a cheap foray into the world of real race tires and not the snow tires of the day that passed for performance tires. The body roll is insane!
Attachments
Boundary Bay.jpg
Boundary Bay.jpg (287.34 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
redvx1

Post by redvx1 »

Classic pic!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Great info! Anybody know if there was a company in the early-mid 1970's that sold a dual Dellorto side draft carb kit? I have an UN-branded (no markings) dual dcoe intake with Dellorto carbs & a linkage system that comes up from the bottom in between the carbs! It is on an old SCCA B Sedan 510. I found & talked with the ORIGINAL owner/builder, installed around 1972, but he thought he bought it from BRE. Pete Brock says he never sold Dellorto carbs & I know that he branded EVERYTHING with BRE anyway! Dellorto carbs were much more popular with the Italian car market, where as Weber carbs were marketed for all. Thoughts or ideas?

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

redvx1 I have seen numerous different rear sway bar styles for the 510's. Most of the bars mounted to the bottom of the rear subframe. Do your end links mount to the bolt of the rear suspension bump stop on the rear control arm or possibly on a bracket bolted or welded to the control arm?
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

yenpit wrote: 02 Feb 2022 15:13 Great info! Anybody know if there was a company in the early-mid 1970's that sold a dual Dellorto side draft carb kit? I have an UN-branded (no markings) dual dcoe intake with Dellorto carbs & a linkage system that comes up from the bottom in between the carbs! It is on an old SCCA B Sedan 510. I found & talked with the ORIGINAL owner/builder, installed around 1972, but he thought he bought it from BRE. Pete Brock says he never sold Dellorto carbs & I know that he branded EVERYTHING with BRE anyway! Dellorto carbs were much more popular with the Italian car market, where as Weber carbs were marketed for all. Thoughts or ideas?

TJ
Interpart sold Dellorto carbs for Datsuns and other cars. Those carbs in the Interpart ad with the sexy model look like Dellortos. Here's a few pages from an Interpart catalog from around '74. This was probably after Pete folded BRE and went hang gliding.
redvx1

Post by redvx1 »

Yeah, mine mounted to a bracket under the bump stop rubber on the control arm.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

redvx1 wrote: 07 Feb 2022 11:47 Yeah, mine mounted to a bracket under the bump stop rubber on the control arm.
FYI the end links that I have had for that style rear bar were simple very short heim joints on one end & rubber bushings on the other, as opposed to the straight threaded rod with rubber bushings on both ends (more like a front bar). That Interpart ad makes me think those are two REAR sway bars in the pic............the bar shown towards the top looks like 510 with the links I mention here & the bar towards the bottom show what I expect are Z car flat steel "stanchions" to support the bar with the straight threaded link rod with bushings on both ends........?? Regardless, you should be able to piece together whatever hardware you need!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Tedman wrote: 05 Feb 2022 14:01
yenpit wrote: 02 Feb 2022 15:13 Great info! Anybody know if there was a company in the early-mid 1970's that sold a dual Dellorto side draft carb kit? I have an UN-branded (no markings) dual dcoe intake with Dellorto carbs & a linkage system that comes up from the bottom in between the carbs! It is on an old SCCA B Sedan 510. I found & talked with the ORIGINAL owner/builder, installed around 1972, but he thought he bought it from BRE. Pete Brock says he never sold Dellorto carbs & I know that he branded EVERYTHING with BRE anyway! Dellorto carbs were much more popular with the Italian car market, where as Weber carbs were marketed for all. Thoughts or ideas?

TJ
Interpart sold Dellorto carbs for Datsuns and other cars. Those carbs in the Interpart ad with the sexy model look like Dellortos. Here's a few pages from an Interpart catalog from around '74. This was probably after Pete folded BRE and went hang gliding.
Awesome info, that explains it! Pete B said they had a close relationship with Interpart. The original owner/builder is buying the 510 from me ("deposit check is in the mail!"), so another tidbit to jar his memory from 1972, when he installed the carb set!

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!