Door hanger mounting system for painting off car

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Stu
Supporter

Door hanger mounting system for painting off car

Post by Stu »

Has anyone built a contraption that will hold a door or pair of doors so they can be painted off the car? I know there are professional systems that hold doors but they are more universal and are costly (I have 4 door). I was thinking of something that would hold two doors on a central pole and the doors would mount like wings at the hinge holes. It would need a heavy enough base to not tip over, but could be wheeled around the shop/enclosed trailer/paint booth.
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(
MikeY

Re: Door hanger mounting system for painting off car

Post by MikeY »

I built a frame to hang parts. The legs seperate from the header bar, so it's easy to take apart and store. I hang parts with tie wire. The doors can be hung with 2 wires that run thru the glass frame. I don't have a picture of the route.
Attachments
door hanger.jpg
door hanger.jpg (132.56 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
fender hanger.jpg
fender hanger.jpg (175.29 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

Thanks for the pics. I have hangers available at my class but am trying to figure out if I can get a hanger system that I can also transport the doors on after they are painted. I can not leave the car or parts at my class and have to get everything back to my house in my trailer. I can make multiple trips but am worried about how to handle freshly painted doors in the transport mode.
Stu

1972 4-door 510
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Once paint is cured, you can lay them down flat on clean blankets, outer surface up. Depending on how FAR you have to haul, I would suggest more blankets and/or pillows (??) all around the parts in case they slide in a hard braking incident! Count on hauling the shell alone...........I would NOT stack or stuff parts in or around it! I would not "hang" any parts, as they will swing around while hauling.

PS if the trunk lid is bolted on, but no latch, make sure you secure it down, along with blankets around the edges. Ask me why I suggest that specifically!! :roll: :(

Once you bolt up/hang the doors on the shell, I have used MG door seal pieces/sections to buffer them, until you install the correct 510 seals. The MG style seal is welting like the factory 510, but with a round rubber bulb seal attached on the SIDE, not on the top. If you have a British resto shop nearby, see if they have any scrap pieces that are too short to use on the actual MG's. I just used a couple of 6-8in long pieces. This style seal is also available at various local trim shop suppliers or online.
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

I have to haul the car about 30 miles. Maybe I'm just overthinking it and just laying everything on moving blankets on the trailer floor will be OK. I'm only allowed to leave the painted car in the booth overnight and I am always nervous about letting anything rub paint that is only 24 hours old.
Stu

1972 4-door 510