KA24 won't start

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
ws510510

KA24 won't start

Post by ws510510 »

I have been driving this 73 510 with a KA24DE for two years and now all of a sudden it won't start. If I spray brake cleaner into the intake it will fire up till it runs out of the cleaner. It seems like a fuel problem but a ton of gas comes out when I turn it on and it does return to the tank. I did take off the fuel rail with injectors in and they did spray.
Fuel is flowing, ignition is firing and it's getting air. I have replaced the fuel rail pressure regulator, fuel injectors, plugs, cap/rotor, fuel filter, coil and checked coolant temp sensor, fuses, power transistor, IACV, IAO-AAC solenoid. Computer OBD1 isn't showing any codes. All seem to be working. Is there something I'm missing or could check? Starting to drive me nuts!
Thanks for any input!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: KA24 won't start

Post by bertvorgon »

Is there any sensor that has to see oil pressure before firing up?

I had that problem with a Ford Aerostar I had, drove me crazy for a bit till I figured that out.

Just a thought, I'm not a fuel injection guy.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ws510510

Post by ws510510 »

I will take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

How old is the gas in it?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
ws510510

Post by ws510510 »

Gas is new, I've been driving it for two years.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

If gas is making it into the known good engine then the issue must be the gas is bad. I mean it's running off other fuel so all the other systems check out. Are you cranking the engine with a trigger from the engine bay when using the carb cleaner? Otherwise my guess is bad fuel. Or to much fuel and flooding. Try giving it 100% throttle after the first second of cranking. That turns off the injectors.
ws510510

Post by ws510510 »

It shouldn't be bad gas but i'll drain the tank and refill (can't hurt and i'm at a loss) I tried starting with it floored and still nothing. I appreciate your thoughts!!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I'm just not seeing how it runs off another fuel but won't off injectors that you say are spraying. My buddies 510 was broke down for 6 months with wiring issues. I stopped buy and figured out the wiring issue. It was out of gas.
ws510510

Post by ws510510 »

Update, So I drained the tank and put in new gas. Not that the gas was old but to eliminate it being a problem. I then went and bought a Noid Light to test injector wiring. Guess what? The lights aren't blinking when I turn it over??? Injectors are new and when I turn the key to on position they are reading 12 volts. Any thoughts of where I should go next? I'm leaning to ignition control module or bad computer?? Driving me nuts as early on I took the rail off with injectors and they were spraying.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I found when I set up my efi in the start position the injectors were not getting 12v and in the run position they were.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I would pull the rail again and crank it while you are watching for them to spray. That is odd since they sprayed before. If it's wired correctly the injectors get power all the time key on or off.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Flaky CAS wiring?
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
blkdackz1

Post by blkdackz1 »

I would check CAS wiring. I’d bought a Spec V B15 that had ran rough, after having it fail to stay started while driving, I got it home and ran the codes. Turned out there was a misfire and after swapping in a motor I held onto from a previous car the issue persisted. After changing the coil pack harness… all was fine. There was a damaged wire leading to one of the coils.
ws510510

Post by ws510510 »

Update: So I checked and double checked all the grounds and the wiring from the injectors to the ECU. I went ahead and replaced the distributor and camshaft position sensor. Still no flashing lights with the Noid lights. Thinking the only thing left it could be is its an ECU issue. I ordered one and it should be here on the 10th. I have to admit i'm feeling a little defeated...
ws510510

Post by ws510510 »

Update.. So the computer came early and had no changes to anything. UGGG!! What exactly is the CAS that you have mentioned? From what I've read it's a crank angle sensor on the bell housing. I cant see anything there. Are all the transmissions the same? I'm running out of things to check.