Headliner pictures

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
SeeDub_17

Headliner pictures

Post by SeeDub_17 »

Hello,

I received my new headliner from headliner mart yesterday. Great service thus far. Came in a timely fashion.

Now, It has been a long time since I removed my old one and don't have any reference photos.

Wondering if any one had any pictures of theirs and how the headliner piece ties into the vertical pieces on the A,B and C pillars.

On the lower portion of the A pillar I believe it just dies down beside the dash. On the B pillar there is a piece of trim and same on the C pillars.

Any helpful pictures are greatly appreciated.
yenpit

Re: Headliner pictures

Post by yenpit »

Did you get this done? If you still need help, send me your TEXT or EMAIL...................sorry, I do not host & post pics, as req'd here!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I know this thread is old but since I just did my headliner I have pics of how the old one was. Maybe they'll just be helpful for others with the same question.

yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Great pics! The area where many botch it up/install it incorrectly is the C pillar (last pic) & how the top edge is created, using that "pressboard" piece & folding the vinyl over the top edge. If anybody needs, I should have most of the correct parts & might still have a short video clip of HOW it all goes together!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Hey Rush,have you considered 3D printing the piece at the bottom of the B pillar? I would gladly pay you for 2 of them. One left and one right.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

You're so right! That's exactly why I took that photo. I figured I'd need to remind myself how that funky program goes! It's clever how it's done but definitely not intuitive if you're not an upholstery person.

Here are a few more pics from my install the other day. I haven't done the C pillars yet, I ran out of daylight, but here are the other 2.
Foam
Finished
Foam
Finished
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

RONSLYCHUK wrote: 24 Aug 2022 11:20 Hey Rush,have you considered 3D printing the piece at the bottom of the B pillar? I would gladly pay you for 2 of them. One left and one right.
I brought one in the studio to model but I haven't gotten to it yet. It's a weird shape so it may take me a while to get it right.

Oh, eew. The spider nest in there is a nice touch, too. :|
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

...and pics of the C pillar finished.

yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Ya know, you can also cover those upper interior panels that were originally orange & somebody painted black! I think some of the JDM Deluxe models (we never got) were covered in BLACK vinyl, like the C pillars you just did. I think every "edge" would be tucked behind the welting & then tucked under the painted silver interior panel rails.............could be a cool quick way to cover up that peeling black paint??

If you or Ron need those little white plastic C pillar trim pieces, I have good USED ones! They are always "yellowed" or had been painted, so they basically all need painting, especially if you have new headliner & C pillar vinyl trim!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Oh! I never even thought of that! It might look really nice covered in vinyl! I modeled & printed myself a set of those C pillar pieces. With so many obsolete little doo-dads my 3D printer has come in very handy! :)
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

You can sell those 3D printed vents if they turned out nice! Half of the originals break taking out, so kinda hard to find (although I have a box full)!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Do you have the curved metal trim panels that go on each side of the parcel tray? I think early were covered in black vinyl, later were stamped with a grain pattern & painted black (or vice versa?). Below the back window is a simple piece of black vinyl all the way across.............it too tucks UNDER the rear glass seal, just like the headliner, so install that vinyl before installing the glass!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I did consider that since I figured, as you said, they're probably broken pretty often. The print is quite nice, but of course, it looks 3D printed because of the layers. Sanding them smooth is a job I'd not want to do on the reg. haha!

It's funny you mention the curved metal pieces! I just took the old nasty vinyl off them today & cut new pieces! I've not installed it onto the metal yet. I'm REALLY glad you mentioned the rear vinyl piece having to go in before the window! Thank you! I would have blown that!
God knows when I'll ever get my windows put in, though; I can't get a single glass company to call me back! All I can do is continue to try to get a hold of them. So annoying!

I may be able to do the rear glass myself but I need a replacement windshield.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

There are Chinese made front windshields...........that is all I am aware of. I usually buy 4-5 at a time, but I DO NOT SHIP cuz glass is a major issue, even if in a crate! We have a nat'l glass wholesale franchise here in Denver called Mygrant Glass. Here, they only sell to glass shops............I have no idea if you have a Mygrant near you OR if they would sell to you. You might need to travel to go pick up?

Bottom line, have them look up under NISSAN (not likely Datsun). I can dig out a NEW one & get you the part #, but they are packed away safely above my office, so would take a few to dig out & get #. Let me know!

Installing the front or rear is difficult, but can be done at home, using the ROPE METHOD. Check online for videos............
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Here is the Pilkington one if by some miracle one is lurking about!

The Chinese ones are a hair thinner but do work fine.

There is a thread here on windshields, see if I can find it.

thread here, might help;

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... indshields

keith
Attachments
glass.jpg
glass.jpg (17.25 KiB) Viewed 647 times
glass2.jpg
glass2.jpg (17.98 KiB) Viewed 647 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer