Clutch and Pressure Plate for L18

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Clutch and Pressure Plate for L18

Post by PMCS Rally »

I have L18 on ''71 with stock trans and need a new clutch kit. I do not know where this L18 came from, but can I use clutch for stock L16? If not, which model/year of Datsun with L18 I should search for matching clutch? I cannot locate block ID but the head has A87 on it. Any info would be appreciated.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Clutch and Pressure Plate for L18

Post by datzenmike »

Short answer is generally, yes, the 510 L16 200mm clutch and PP will fit and work on most L18s, unless this L18 is from a 620 truck which uses a 225mm clutch and PP. Simple enough to just measure the diameter of the clutch disc contact area on the flywheel once you pull it out.

200mm

The L18 was used one year only in the '73 610* and the '74 710 and 620. All used the A87 head.

*The '74 610 was the first ever use of the L20B and the A87 head was also used for the last time this year.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yes, the L16 application will work fine, noting as Mike mentioned that the clutch is a 200mm unit.
You bring up an interesting question, though. The roadster clutch and pressure plate were the "go-to" units that we used for all of time it seems. Now that this source has dried up and Nissan no longer stocks the item, what are people using that is comparable to the roadster clutch these days - in the 200mm size? Is the clamping pressure comparable and are specs even available?
I'd love to hear what people have found over the last 5 years.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I've been buying the exeddy kit. Either on eBay or available from a few Roadster parts guys. Not cheap. Last one delivered to canada was $375cdn
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/323835828809?mk ... media=COPY
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I actually bought it a few weeks ago directly from here. Mailed USPS so that helped. Only $25 in tax due when it arrived
http://datsun-roadster-parts.com/
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Roaster clamping force should be 650 Kg while most other 200mm are 350-400 Kg.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The 650 is long since NLA. This 600 is also no longer in production. So grab one while the secondary market still has some. Not sure what the next option is.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The 650 is long since NLA. This 600 is also no longer in production. So grab one while the secondary market still has some. Not sure what the next option is.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/233202857642?mk ... media=COPY
This is the clutch alone. I bought one from him a year ago. The price has more than doubled from what he sold one for last year.
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Thank you all for your information now I know what to do this weekend.

After reading your comments, my memory got clearer. My '71 was originally with 3-Speed column AT and I got 4-speed stock transmission from local CL and converted to manual. The seller gave me used 311's clutch disc and pressure plate and told me it would work on 510. I was not sure so I ordered a new clutch kit but a pressure plate was delivered damaged. I did not have time to wait another week for a replacement then, I installed one I got from 311 owner. Since then, it has been working fine.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Roadster PP is overkill for an engine with less than half the power. Stiffer pedal too so not much fun in stop and go. Stock 510 PP is 350Kg so get a cheaper 610/710 PP for an L20B. They are also 200mm and 450Kg clamping.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

MikeY wrote: 27 Jul 2022 13:00 The 650 is long since NLA. This 600 is also no longer in production. So grab one while the secondary market still has some. Not sure what the next option is.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/233202857642?mk ... media=COPY
This is the clutch alone. I bought one from him a year ago. The price has more than doubled from what he sold one for last year.
And they are gone - just looked today, no stock.
So it's a 'Now what' situation.

I am looking for a replacement for the roadster clutch for the race car - 650 KG pressure plate.
The Roadster guy, if he still has them, will also be out soon so a new source is needed.
Has anyone found an alternative for those of us still in need?

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Update:

I just got off the phone with Exedy Corp, and the news is good.
I was told that the Exedy PN from the pressure plate (NSC581) is "hugely popular" and is not out of production. There is a supply issue and the part is currently out of stock. There is a company in California (Foreign Autotech) who has bought up all stock and is waiting for more (back-ordered). However new stock is on its way from Japan and should be here by the end of September - stock for this PN is "on the water" as we speak.
The clutch kit (PP, disc, Bearing and alignment tool) is PN 06025.
I was informed that Autozone is a direct distributor from Exedy, and usually gets a shipment within 2-3 days to their retail stores.
Exedy does have a direct online store, but ships only to the lower 48 and your Canadian credit card will not work if your ship-to address does not match your home address (like when you are using a mailbox address in the US).
So this is all good news.
BTW - Exedy and Daiken are the same company, and Daiken was the OEM manufacturer for Nissan making this the OEM for us all. I just learned that over the weekend.

So we can all relax a bit on this clutch issue. Good, OEM supply will be here soon.

Byron
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Byron I have a used roadster pressure plate from my car. It need resurfacing but has lots of meat on it. I also have a twin disc clutch, pressure plate and flywheel if your interested.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Norm, I was looking at the twin disc setups on DP Racing's site - wondered if this would be the way of the future.
For now, I just don't think the complication is necessary.
In fact, I'm pulling out the steel puck clutch from my race car this week while trying to diagnose transmission issues. The car has 130 HP - not sure the puck clutch is even needed.

Boy did I just steer this thread off course!

Byron
510rob

Post by 510rob »

:lol: That's it - I'm going to complain about you to a moderator.