? on a couple pieces/ Throttle linkage Ball Joints Done

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Rush
Supporter

? on a couple pieces/ Throttle linkage Ball Joints Done

Post by Rush »

Hey guys, since so many of you know every square inch of our 510's can you help me out? Can someone tell me the size of the little ball(s) on the throttle linkage assembly? I'm modeling a set for 3D printing since mine have definitely seen better days. I need to know the ball size so I can make the proper joint & I'd rather not destroy mine in the process just in case the print doesn't come out well for some reason.

Thanks!
Last edited by Rush on 24 Aug 2022 12:36, edited 2 times in total.
iceman510

Re: Question on a couple pieces

Post by iceman510 »

I measured one at 8mm. It might be a Z lever though, not a 510. Still looking for that one. I'll update if I find it.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

You know, you can pop the levers off the ball's and reattach them.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks guys! Ice, please let me know if you do find it.
3B, I'm worried the old one will break. I'm modeling them for that reason but I hate to wreck one only to find out my model won't print well or work for some reason.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

The 510 & Z (among other Datsun's) use the same size ball & same size pivot ends. There were a couple different design's & color's, but they interchange. The difference is in the style & length of the steel rods.............some had a threaded rod & were adjustable.

If these turn out well, you could sell them! We get all of our "hardware" replated in yellow zinc, when doing a build/restoration. Most of these rod assemblies have these plastic pivot ends bonded to the steel rod, thus we can not take them apart. The replating process for the steel rod is caustic & "oxidizes" the plastic, which is still functional, but looks crappy! Keep us informed!! 8) 8)
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Will do!
I was able to carefully pop one of mine apart. I can confirm what Iceman said; they're 8mm. I'm making my visors right now but once I get a test print & fitment done I'll report back. Thanks again, guys! :)
Rush
Supporter

Re: ? on a couple pieces/ Throttle linkage Ball Joints Done

Post by Rush »

Here is a finished, fitted set of the throttle linkage ball joints I made. They fit well and I don't see any reason they would have any problems but since my car isn't ready for throttle linkage yet, I can't say for sure. I have no way to test them other than the fit but I think they're fine. As Yenpit mentioned, the little ones are press fit and probably glued, the long one is threaded M4 0.7.

yenpit

Post by yenpit »

NIce! Those would look just fine as is, even with the 3D printing marks! Will you epoxy them on the rods?
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks! Exactly. I was thinking a dab of quick setting epoxy would be fine. It seems to hold PETG nicely.