Strut Insert Info?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Rush
Supporter

Strut Insert Info?

Post by Rush »

So, I took apart one of my struts today and from what I can tell, it doesn't have a stock insert in it. It's a KYB. The piston falls into the cartridge under its own weight and doesn't take a whole lot to pull it out. I'm guessing it's shot? I've read about putting 20W fork oil in them to sort of rehab them but I haven't got just an o-ring on mine. Mine has like an engine seal. Is anyone familiar with these? How can I get the seal out or is the insert something I just need to replace?

Also, there was a big nut in the housing under the insert. Spacer maybe?

This is what the seal looks like.

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Strut Insert Info?

Post by datzenmike »

That looks like an old worn out insert. Just buy new ones.

The original Nissan oil bath dampers look like this..

They can be emptied out of their thin hydraulic oil and thicker viscosity oil used. I did mine with 20w Bellray motorcycle fork oil but I did try ATF on my wife's car at the time. ATF doesn't have a set viscosity and varies between 6 and 12

Yes the replacement insert is often intended for a different vehicle and has to be the same or shorter in length to fit. If shorter the difference must be made up with some form of shim under it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Excellent! Thanks for the information! I'll just order a new set since I found a NOS set for about $40. Can't really beat that.
gooned

Post by gooned »

The spacer nut was a trick when using rabbit inserts if I recall, been a lot of years since I did that so might be bad tech?
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Ah, ok! These are KYB 4012. I can't find much info on the fitment of them. Unfortunately, the set I had my eye on is gone so I need to find another that will fit since it looks as though these aren't serviceable.

Any suggestions? I'm not having any luck trying to interchange to a currently available replacement.
Preferably something that doesn't cost a billion dollars? I just spent $1200 on front brakes for these stock struts *gasp* so it's going to take me a while to recover from that one!
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

There is a pair of kyb on rockauto. Look for a 280zx strut insert. They will be too short. So you need make a spacer for the bottom. some stack large washers.
$46 cdn each.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thank you! I'll have a look.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Length is key, but make sure the OD diameter of whatever insert you are looking at matches whatever ID strut assembly you are using! Yes, a slightly shorter insert can easily & safely be "shimmed" up to fit properly.............too long & you are out of luck! :(
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks! I ended up ordering inserts for a 280 & the measurements were shorter than mine by about 2". My springs are cut but I don't know how much; they were like that when I bought the car. Hopefully, the new struts will be ok with them. Then again the old ones were pretty sad so anything is probably better.