A little help IDing…Again

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Rush
Supporter

A little help IDing…Again

Post by Rush »

I poked around in the forums for quite a while but I couldn’t find an answer. Which of these switches is the reverse light switch? And while we’re at it, what’s the other one?
It’s the stock ‘72 4 speed manual transmission.

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: A little help IDing…Again

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I am not sure which one is reverse but I think that one is the third gear switch for limiting emissions.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Hmm. I didn’t think manuals had that but I’m not familiar with transmissions at all.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

If I remember correctly the switch powers up the second set of points that are retarded slightly.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Ah, ok. Thanks! Now I just need to know which is which. 🙂
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I guess the easiest way to tell is putting a multimeter on the switches and placing the transmission in gear. The switch that closes its contacts in reverse is the winner ;-)
Do let us all know when you get this figured out. I used to know the answer to this question. My gut feeling is that the reverse switch is the higher up one, further rearwards.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I was afraid of that. Now...where'd I put that shifter...🤓
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Rush wrote: 10 Mar 2023 12:24

The very bottom one is the reverse light switch.

The next one above it is the third gear switch.
There may be a third switch much higher just forward of the shifter. This is the neutral gear switch. This is for activating the 'retarded' set of points which retards the timing 3-4 degrees or something under certain conditions of gear and throttle position.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Awesome. Thanks, Mike! I just soldered leads onto that one so I'm really glad to find out it's the right one! Do I need the other(s)? I have a SSS single points distributor & my car isn't terribly worried about emissions (neither is my state).
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Not really. I find this system rather complex and besides I would want my engine at proper advance not sometimes retarded. I would just unplug the relay that is near the coil that turns the second set of points on and off. This will leave the distributor with only the advanced set working.

The switches can just be left as is and ignored.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I had one car where this system was still functional back in the 90s. It was a 72 wagon. I actually kept the system functional.
What’s interesting is some of the switches are normally open, others are normally closed. I harvested a switch for the reverse lights that was in the wrong position naturally and i had back up lights on in every year but reverse. Lesson learned!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Perfect. I haven't got any extra relays (as far as I can tell, anyhow), so it must have been removed long ago. The 2 switches on the tranny have no wiring to them and no connections on them so that's why I soldered a pigtail to the one.

I have 2 R/B wires and 3 L/Y wires coming out of the wiper motor harness. My diagram says the R/B are for the reverse switch but the L/Y ones must go to that relay I haven't got(?). I'll just tuck them in the loom.
Thanks again!