A Warning

Post your forsale and wanted ads
bertvorgon
Supporter

A Warning

Post by bertvorgon »

I may be off base here, but, after 49 years in the gold refining business,
I have run into my share of scams!

Approximately a week ago, a new person was admitted to our site, who made one very terse statement.

I got a personal Pm from that person, in response to my looking for the NAPZ head gasket.

In that note was an email address to someone who apparently had some for sale.

I contacted. They said yes, how many do I need? I asked to confirm factory P/N number and price.

Yes, they are factory, shipping from Oregon. 20.00 each...what am I will to pay?

HUH? .....I said price fair, could you send me a picture! No pictures come. I ask more info on the gaskets, what is their source, etc. NOTHING.

I say let me know shipping and I will send cash (I'm a dinosaur)

I then get a mail address in Kentucky, which I google and it is just a house. I ask a few more related Datsun questions...no answer. Just says to me..Oh, how come they come from Oregon, yet the mail address is in Kentucky? He says, oh, they come from a warehouse in Kentucky, so the payment goes to Kentucky......which was the house. I then asked for more info..before I go sending any money.....

He was sure hot to get that money going, with NO substantive anything.

He has gone DARK now, which if someone really did have something for sale...sends the red flags.

I said....." Hmmmm....No info eh,...I smell a RAT in Kentucky...."!

I personally think this was a set up onto our site, I maybe wrong, but, it just smells like so many types I ran into in my working career.

So be aware
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: A Warning

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I smell scam Keith.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

If they can't send a picture with your name on a piece of paper along side of it, don't send money. And PayPal is the.only way to go. But never used friends and family. Always pay like it's a business and pay the extra fee.You might be a dinosaur but here you are on the world wide web. Lol
Name them and let's get them removed. It's a scam for sure .
jay123

Post by jay123 »

Scammers everywhere: not even the Realm is safe 🙁
'72 510 2dr getting li'l luv..
cwd240z
Supporter

Post by cwd240z »

I received a similar PM, I assumed it was a scam and just ignored it.
Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

The first contact seemed legit, yet one PM back set up red flares. I have always had fun stretching things out, wastes their time. My working career had me exposed to dozens of major scams involving gold, one of which I scammed the scammer, based in Mali, Africa. Seen too many people I had warned to NOT get involved, lose 100,000's of dollars over those years. Maybe I will post up a couple of the stories if anyone was interested to read.

coopertechparts is the person who sent me the email link : hermingsquareinc@gmail.com is the scammer.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

I received one from this scammer too. He was trolling my "WTB" parts post.

Just always use paypal "goods and services" and you're covered.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I offer you a story from my work years. I will only post more if interested. You will shake your head1

The World of Gold Scams

The voice on the other end of the phone was in full panic mode, “It’s gone...It’s ALL gone....what do I do....no one answers their phone...all the money is gone!!!!!”

Every fibre in my body wanted to say...I TOLD YOU SO!”

Let’s step back here for a moment, as we look at the build up to my first major gold scam. In the early nineties the Internet was really expanding, now giving the bad guys access to the whole world. They were quick to learn that with a stroke of a key, thousands of e-mails could be sent, so the odds of catching people off guard went up dramatically. A letter is received, usually from Africa that offers kilos of gold at a discount from world market price, which, if one’s brain is in gear, should be a red flag right off. There are variations of this, but they all follow a common theme. Where we come into the play is that we are contacted by the person who has received the letter, to see if we can buy the gold from him, and what do we charge. Of course that person is doing the math to see how many thousands of dollars they will have in profit. Little do they know!

Our first person, let’s call him Mr. Gabriel, gave me a call one day, out of the blue, asking if I could handle TONS of gold. That should be no problem I told him, what is the source? Well, he proceeds to tell me that there is this village in the Philippines, where the people have found a bunker of Japanese gold from World War 2. They need him to help broker this gold, so the villagers can buy food and some farm equipment. HUH...they have TONS of gold, and they contact this guy in CALGARY...to broker the gold! Give your head a shake!

I proceed to warn him of why this is NOT a good idea to be involved in this. Why did they contact you? How do you know this is real? Why would they sell at a discount? How would they ship it? We are talking in excess of 58,000 troz, which at the time would have been worth 23.3 MILLION dollars! He states they are going to send him a sample.

Now, over the years, a so called sample is always sent, and in my experience, it will almost always assay around 98% pure gold. They do this as part of the scheme to make you think this is all legit. You have a REAL sample in your hands, which you get assayed, and, WOW, it is 98% gold. What people fail to realize, as they get caught up in this, is that the sample is only as good as that sample. What did it really prove?

Our Mr. Gabriel is not really listening, and like most people, he can just see the dollars of profit. I tell him to be careful, and that he should walk away. A week later, he flies into Vancouver to meet me, and he has a sample of gold he wants me to assay. I go through the whole thing again, as to why this is a bad idea. He states the people are VERY friendly on the phone, and are playing a bit of a religious card to him also, as he has a religious back ground. The bad guys are very smart and they know how to get at people, finding their weak points. Weak in this case, as Mr. Gabriel really wanted to help these poor villagers get food and equipment, to raise their standard of living. Yah, RIGHT! They are sitting on two tons of gold and they need a guy in Calgary to help them?

I send the sample off for assay, fully knowing how it will return. Meanwhile, Mr. Gabriel has had more contact with the Filipinos, who now have Mr. Gabriel on the hook; they just need to get him in the boat. Mr. Gabriel tells me that one of the villagers is going to fly to Vancouver, to meet ME, and Mr. Gabriel. I think to myself this is going to get real interesting.

Two weeks later Mr. Gabriel comes again, with another person purporting to be looking after the interests of the village. What a line he spun. This is where it got really weird too, yet totally showed me what a scam this was. This fellow starts going off at the mouth about a plane that they found in the jungle, that also had gold in it, PLUS, it was somehow connected to the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Supposedly they had the log book and a nuclear trigger that was destined for Tinian Island.
I’m a history buff and had never heard or read of a lost plane carrying that!

He then pulls out the telling pictures, 8 x 10 glossy photos of the gold. One picture seems to show a very attractive, buxom Asian lady, dressed in camouflage pants, tight fitting T-shirt, holding a 9MM handgun, standing on a pile of gold bars, in some sort of concrete structure. There were a few more pictures of the so called gold bars, and a few very generic looking pictures of some jungle type village.

Now, what he could NOT have foreseen was my experience in the business. Over the years, I have poured many lead bars, the size of standard gold bars, then had them gold plated. I have done this for museums, even the Yukon Historical Society when they celebrated the gold rush. Lead cools in a much different way than gold, so it has very distinctive cooling lines on the bar that even gold plating cannot hide. (More of this in a later article, to do with brass bars.) This is what they had done, poured a whack of lead bars, gold plated, stacked them, likely on plywood so it looked like it was a pile, but in reality maybe only a few bars thick. I just about choked. I said nothing at this point. He also pulled out of his pocket a bunch of stones that he said were emeralds. I looked at them and said they were just glass. While I’m no gem expert, I have seen enough real stuff over the years, and, have poured all sorts of glass type things. I told him this would melt in a furnace. He said go ahead, he had lots and this would prove they were real. I called his bluff and put one in the furnace which was running that day. It melted! He tried to say he must have gotten mixed up with something else he was working on.

Long story short, the Filipino left for his flight and I proceeded to try to tell Mr. Gabriel that this is the biggest scam I have seen to date. I even SHOWED him a gold plated lead bar. He was blind, blinded by his faith in people, and thinking he was going to help this village. What finally happened is that they”needed” some upfront cash, so they could arrange shipping and few other things. Beyond bizarre. This actually is what the scam and most other scams are really about. It has NOTHING to do with gold, it is about getting you so caught up in the money you THINK you will make, that you send cash to help with whatever is required to get the gold moving.

As I walked across the office to grab the phone, the ringing almost had a weird urgency to it and as soon as I heard Mr. Gabriel’s voice, I knew he was DONE! They got him...BIG TIME. He spent weeks trying to contact them, phone, fax, e-mail, nothing. He asked me what should he do ? I told him he was done, it was an offshore crime, he could maybe try the RCMP or......????

Our Mr.Gabriel sent them $250,000.00 U.S. Dollars........

Stay tuned for further scam stories, more to shake your head at.

I will send some sample letters for you to see in my next article. I have a file 1” thick now; I call it my silly file.
Keith Law

June 9, 2015

Keith Law
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If anything is unsolicited just ignore outright. I never answer the phone or the door unless I know who it is.

As far as approving a new member's first post if their profile doesn't include something Datsun or Nissan I leave it and wait for an introduction or post that has a Datsun/Nissan question. (it's funny how many list a BMW as their only car) Recently a complaint of a 'scam' and when looked into it was a new unapproved member nothing Datsun in their profile but has sent out 26 e-mails. Immediately banned. Going to close that loophole.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Interesting experience Keith... The method of delivery may change over time but the scammers are always going to find a way to scam. What a pitiful way to make a living.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

At the point I retired, I personally, at my work, witnessed close to a million dollars lost by people I warned.

Some of these people were professionals, once a doctor, a Jazz Airline pilot, had accountants in my office, all blinded by greed.

That does NOT include a friend of one of my customers....who lost $3,000,000.00 U.S. of A. dollars!!!!!!!!

THAT is quite the story in my library. This person had PhD after his name, but, did no homework on what he was being sold.

Keith Law
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I have six+ FAKE checks from craigslist scammers sending me "too much money, please refund asap!". These people are desparately STUPID, everything they say & do is textbook, so I always know. I "play them" until they overnight a fake check, then I ignore them for a day or two, then I tell them that I played them, they get pissed off (sometimes very verbal!! :lol: ), & POOF!! they disappear!! It's actually alot of fun............ :mrgreen:
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Oh Yah, I scammed a guy in Mali who I so hooked in HIS greed.

Believe it or not, I got him twice...love to post that story if anyone interested. Too funny.

I actually made some money off HIM!

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I banned coopertechparts
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

bertvorgon wrote: 08 Aug 2023 07:58
Some of these people were professionals, once a doctor, a Jazz Airline pilot, had accountants in my office, all blinded by greed.
You can't cheat an honest man.
yenpit wrote: 08 Aug 2023 12:25 I have six+ FAKE checks from craigslist scammers sending me "too much money, please refund asap!". These people are desparately STUPID, everything they say & do is textbook, so I always know. I "play them" until they overnight a fake check, then I ignore them for a day or two, then I tell them that I played them, they get pissed off (sometimes very verbal!! :lol: ), & POOF!! they disappear!! It's actually alot of fun............ :mrgreen:

Not desperately stupid. Calculating... as there is no limit to greed and stupidity of those they scam. They cast a wide net and a few get away, but they have proven time and time again that patience and persistence pays off with a nibble.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs