Trunk sealing and general seal question

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Button

Trunk sealing and general seal question

Post by Button »

Hey all, I have been getting a lot of exhaust/gas smell in the car and I read somewhere that it could be getting in through the trunk. Someone suggested putting a rag in the edge of the seal, closing the trunk and pulling to see if you get much resistance. I did this and did not get too much resistance. I adjust the trunk latch a bit but there was little room for adjustment before it wouldn't latch. That didn't really help. It's worth noting I also get water in the trunk when I wash the car.

So I used blue painters tape and taped up the trunk lid as a test and what would you know the smell pretty much went away. I put on a new seal on about 6 years ago but it has pretty much been sitting in the garage the whole time. The trunk seal was one of the lower quality one you could find in the states and not a quality one like datsports.

Any suggestions on how to get a proper seal? Any one have similar issues I could order a quality one from datsports but I would imagine it would be the same shape and should seal the same?

Thank you all
ostaylor
Supporter

Re: Trunk sealing and general seal question

Post by ostaylor »

My experience with Datsport seals has been very good. I'd suggest starting there and checking if there is anything else you need from them as shipping is expensive so avoiding multiple shipments helps.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Button

Post by Button »

Thank you. I will order it up from Datsport and see how it goes
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Also there are those stupid trunk lid drain holes that originally had a reed valve built in. I taped over mine to help with the stink issue.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Button

Post by Button »

Oh, thanks Icehouse. I didn't know about that. I will look into that too