best parts car for wagon?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
dieselfinger

best parts car for wagon?

Post by dieselfinger »

I have a tow yard next door to my work who auctions cars off and I noticed they have at least 150 to 200 car's a week moving out.
They also have a list outside the gate that tells you what's availble for weeks to come. I talked to a guy who works there and he said if I'm looking for a parts car I could get it for $100.00 (minimum price for any car auctioned).
What is the best part's car to have it seem's to me that the 1980 thru 1984 nissan 200SX would be it (can use the motor/trans)
(can use the struts)
(can use the rear end with discs for my wagon)
(can use the front seats)
(what else??)
I know it takes work to put all this together but I have more time than money and can fabricate. :?
I'm not looking to race my wagon just want to make it a little more solid than it is one step at a time. WHAT IS THE BEST PARTS CAR.?.?.? Thanx in advance. :)
Byron510

RE: best parts car for wagon?

Post by Byron510 »

Usable parts from...
200SX Z22E motor 81-84: 2.2L block (use with L20B head, makes a great street motor), Complete 2.2 motor with trans (needs to be used as a complete unit, a bit of a difficult swap because it places the injection on the other side, and really doesn't have much power anyways), rear discs (good for sedan or wagon), hand brake easily adapted to 510. Struts can be used, but not much advantage over 510 units (I think they are 10mm larger in dia.) That’s it.
200SX Z20E -1980: same as above, accept the matchbox distributor can be used to easily convert your L series motor to electronic ignition.
280Z: good 5 spd trans, need to make custom mount and shorten drive shaft as well as modify shifter hole.
280ZX: Same trans. as above, but you can use front struts with other mods (search this topic - hot debated)
620 P/U: 5 spd Trans (same mods as 280ZX), L18/L20B motor - very easy swap into 510
200SX 1977-79?: good trans to use, needs custom X member but stock drive shaft length. Also has L20B motor (see above)

The list can go on for ever. That's what I love about 510 people - we'll try anything. Most just talk about it, but there are some out there who've actually done it, succeeded, and if you can think of it, someone’s probably done it.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
wagoneer

Re: best parts car for wagon?

Post by wagoneer »

Hello Byron510
This is nearly a 20yr. post.still perhaps if I may humbly request any information or contacts.
I swapped the front suspension and front brakes out of my 71 510 wagon years ago.
Re: front disc brakes
If I remember correctly I think Troy Ermish suggested replacing the master cylinder with a 240 master which I did.
I’ve adjusted the rear drums and bled the system but still seem to have to pump to get the most out of my brakes.
I’m wondering if a booster would be appropriate or there’s something else I can do? Any ideas? Or someone you know I could communicate with this about?
Wagoneer
wagoneer

Post by wagoneer »

I failed to mention the front suspension/brakes came out of a 280Z
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

You have air in the lines still. I have a 1200 master with zx brakes and the pedal feels great.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam