The Bronze EFI bits.....

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

The Bronze EFI bits.....

Post by Byron510 »

So, I've been busy on the mill for the past few weeks, playing with my EFI set up when I have a chance. There's not much more rewarding than widdleing bits and widgets out of chunks of aluminum plate.

Please don't ask me to duplicate this project. What I have invested in parts alone would have bought me a 1/2 of the TWM set up, but with my time included, I could have bought three of those TWM set ups by now - and I don't even have linkage or throttle position sensors mounted!!

The throttle shafts, plates, air bleed screws ect. are Webber. I mounted them using a conventional sealed bearing - opposed to Webbers "special" bearing. To be honest, I looked at the Webber supplied bearings, and they’re not very good quality. Granted I've never heard of a Webber bearing failure, and they are not exactly working hard!!

I'll contour the TB's after I know exactly where the mounts for the linkage and throttle position sensors will be. For now these just look like what they are, chunks of aluminum with holes drilled in them. They'll look much better in the end.

I don't even want to think about the time I have into this already, but suffice to say, I'll have a unique setup, if not only because no one else would be crazy enough to tackle this!!
These TB's are making the manifold casting look like child’s play.
Now about that cylinder head.........
Byron
Attachments
DSCN4035 (Small).JPG
DSCN4033 (Small).JPG
DSCN4032 (Small).JPG
Last edited by Byron510 on 23 Dec 2006 19:37, edited 2 times in total.
Byron510

Malcs EFI linkage

Post by Byron510 »

The other project I've had on the go lately if modifying Malc's TWM set up. These come with a bottom pull style cable linkage set up. With Malc's 2.4, big cam and Comp header, the throttle cable was literally melting, to the point of seizing. Stuck WOT isn't a pleasant experience for anyone, and in a racing situation this’ll usually cost you a motor, so I set out to change his set up a top pull variety.
This is what I came up with. I now know why speed tuners never make money. This linkage alone has 16 hours of time invested in machine time alone. At shop rate, well you do the math, there's no way people would pay! I guess that's why we are in this game, just to do it!
Anyways, the results were pretty good....
Byron
Attachments
DSCN4028 (Small).JPG
DSCN4027 (Small).JPG
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

more pics..
Attachments
DSCN4023 (Small).JPG
DSCN4026 (Small).JPG
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Nice!

Is that the TWM manifold?

---Edit---

On the first one I mean. I realize the second one if mostly TWM stuff.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

byron is the Jessie James of 510s.

He cast those manifolds.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

nice work!

HHHMMM maybe if I moved some things around I could fit a mill in the dining room then......
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Yeah, but don't forget about all of those greasy oily chips that go everywhere, and I'm not talkin' about freedom fries!!!
freq

Post by freq »

Byron, that throttle linkage is truly a thing of beauty.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks,
The TB's with the air horns are TWM, but both above pictured manifolds are the ones I cast and machine – anything with C&B are parts that I cast or machine.
I wasn't aiming for trick linkage, buy I wanted to make it as light as possible. That particular application has had some real vibration issues (2.4's really thump and shake when revved up!). But I was pretty happy with the results.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

awesome linkage!
Last edited by 510rob on 10 Dec 2006 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Byron, you so crazy! You are going to be using a Megasquirt, right? I thought I read somewhere that MS has problems with ITBs, since it is MAP based and you can only get a reading from one cylinder at a time....
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Actually, I'll be using Malc's EFI computer. It'll be the Beta 1.2 version I guess, as the only current one is on his racecar.
Using ITB's is not an issue with any of these systems - MS or otherwise. The way around getting a bad pulsating signal to the MAP sensor is to run individual lines from each intake runner to an accumulator, then take the MAP sensor reading from that accumulator. This gives a more consistent MAP signal. Dave Doan did this years ago with his TWM TB's on a comp manifold using the SDS system on a 2.4. It works great.
Malc's system doesn't even run a MAP sensor. He uses throttle position vs. RPM with feed back form an air temp sensor, water temp sensor and wide band oxygen sensors (one for each primary pipe).
Byron
dan-kellow

Post by dan-kellow »

ahh byron, i miss having you around... always making somthing cool and shiney. nice work buddy.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Byron510 wrote:Actually, I'll be using Malc's EFI computer. It'll be the Beta 1.2 version I guess, as the only current one is on his racecar.
Using ITB's is not an issue with any of these systems - MS or otherwise. The way around getting a bad pulsating signal to the MAP sensor is to run individual lines from each intake runner to an accumulator, then take the MAP sensor reading from that accumulator. This gives a more consistent MAP signal. Dave Doan did this years ago with his TWM TB's on a comp manifold using the SDS system on a 2.4. It works great.
Malc's system doesn't even run a MAP sensor. He uses throttle position vs. RPM with feed back form an air temp sensor, water temp sensor and wide band oxygen sensors (one for each primary pipe).
Byron
Totally makes sense -- don't know why I didn't think of that.

When is your expected completion date? You, "Jamesrob", and I shall have a race to the finish line for newly EFI'd BC 510s for 2006!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

With the baby on the way, I'm staying on the safe side and saying, I don't know!
Byron