New swap-4G63T

View and post your 510 project(s)
jeffball610

Re: New swap-4G63T

Post by jeffball610 »

After that last autocross, I started shopping for new suspension parts. I've discovered that my front end is running out of suspension travel and bottoming out giving me understeer with the grip level I'm currently experiencing. My current set up is full length S12 struts with stock 280Z KYB inserts and T3 coil overs up front. Out back is Specialty Engineering springs and KYB shocks (probably Camero units). I would love to run Troy Ermish's stuff, but I think my set up is quite different from what he deals with. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he can cook something up, but I've gone another route.

For the price, I'm not sure I can do better. I just purchased a complete set of coilovers from Silver Mine Motorsports. The fronts are adjustable for height, spring preload, and dampening. The rears are just height and spring preload adjustable. My biggest selling point is the modularity of the units. Several other companies have similar styles of coilovers and I'm sure they all use the same threaded tubes making it easy to run someone else's stuff in the future if the need arises. But for $800 shipped for a set of 4, it's tough to argue against it.
https://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun ... tion-wagon

I haven't seen too many people running them, but a YouTuber I follow, CZero Media, runs them on his Z and likes them. My uses will be different than his, but there are several "sponsored racers" on the Silver Mine site, so they might work out okay.

I'll update this thread when I put them together and give some initial feedback. The next autocross event is March 8th and I'll give them a full thrashing :-)

I'll post a short video from last weekend's autocross soon. I only made 3 runs and left before the afternoon session due to weather. I finished mid pack and at least 3 seconds slower than I think I can run. Oh well.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

I'll be waiting for your feedback on the Silvermine coilover kit. It looks like a decent budget solution. I didn't know about them! They have some interesting 510 bits and pieces.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Here's a very short video of me on the highway coming home from autocross. I found myself without traction rolling into 3rd gear.

https://youtu.be/FTErXHgEEHQ
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Autocross February 9, 2020. The car still had understeer due to lack of front end suspension travel. I have changed suspension set ups to the Silver Mine Motorsports since this event. I'm getting an alignment this week and the next event is soon, so I'll get a chance to provide some feedback.

https://youtu.be/_kJqGGfXKtM
1972 Datsun 510
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Fun vidoes! It's crazy to see how different driving styles can be. If I do the full grip smooth driving like you its can be over a second slower. My car to rotate the rear around most corners. Maybe it's just the video.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

icehouse wrote: 24 Feb 2020 08:38 Fun vidoes! It's crazy to see how different driving styles can be. If I do the full grip smooth driving like you its can be over a second slower. My car to rotate the rear around most corners. Maybe it's just the video.
Hanging the rear out is the fastest way with this car too. I'm just too chicken to do it. Another driver did 2 seconds faster in my car at another event. I think the video is in here.

In any case, I'm hoping the new suspension will give me more grip that I can utilize for speed.
1972 Datsun 510
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

My car is the same as you guys describe. I typically drive it with the tail end wagging around a bit. It might be a little bit faster, but it is WAY more fun!

One thing that I do, and I'm sure Jeff does the same (we learned about setting up a 510 from the same guy) is run a ton of rear toe in. This makes the car very stable and predictable, even with the rear end sliding around.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

jeffball610 wrote: 25 Feb 2020 19:39
icehouse wrote: 24 Feb 2020 08:38 Fun vidoes! It's crazy to see how different driving styles can be. If I do the full grip smooth driving like you its can be over a second slower. My car to rotate the rear around most corners. Maybe it's just the video.
Hanging the rear out is the fastest way with this car too. I'm just too chicken to do it. Another driver did 2 seconds faster in my car at another event. I think the video is in here.

In any case, I'm hoping the new suspension will give me more grip that I can utilize for speed.
I do remember the other driver and that video. With time you will get there. I think it helps that I daily my 510 and grew up in the woods with my 510 which added up to a ton of seat time. Super fun watching the videos.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

duke wrote: 26 Feb 2020 14:45 My car is the same as you guys describe. I typically drive it with the tail end wagging around a bit. It might be a little bit faster, but it is WAY more fun!

One thing that I do, and I'm sure Jeff does the same (we learned about setting up a 510 from the same guy) is run a ton of rear toe in. This makes the car very stable and predictable, even with the rear end sliding around.
I've tried many different suspension settings. The rear toe in my car wasn't noticeable so I put it back to stock which makes it way better in the rain on the street. Although I have WAY less power then Keith. If I ever get my turbo motor in I'm going to do more rear toe testing. Rack and pinion, power steering and getting rid of the T3 rear coilovers really increased the predictability and lap repeatability of my car.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Here's a video that's way too long about my install of the Silver Mine Motorsports coilovers. I'll give another update with feedback in about 2 weeks after the next autocross on March 8th.

https://youtu.be/oKXY3bMcBAM
1972 Datsun 510
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

No gloves while welding! Looks like awesome coilovers. Can't wait to hear how they work.
HKS

Post by HKS »

Silvermine site for the coilovers states "Shock tube diameter is 22MM" are the factory 510 struts and 280ZX strut casings identical with both measuring 22mm? Just making sure they will be adaptable to 280ZX strut housings.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

HKS wrote: 02 Mar 2020 23:01 Silvermine site for the coilovers states "Shock tube diameter is 22MM" are the factory 510 struts and 280ZX strut casings identical with both measuring 22mm? Just making sure they will be adaptable to 280ZX strut housings.
They had them miss-listed when I ordered. They do know the correct diameter for the strut you need. I measured mine at 21mm.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Saturday I got the car dialed in on the new Silver Mine suspension and got an official weight for the car. Sadly, all that suspension tuning didn't turn into fast times at autocross on Sunday. I'm still figuring out how to drive and it's definitely tail happy at the limit. Turn in seemed better and the car set better on turn in, so something is working right. Now I just need to tune the nut behind the wheel.

Rave reviews were given about the Futofab front control arms and the Byron's brackets out back. The tuner is familiar with the 510 and does set up work for major race teams and manufacturers, so I'd take his word on it.

As far as the Silver Mine coilovers, they seem to work as intended. I think the front springs being 4k might be a bit soft, but the shock adjustment is in the middle, so I'm sure I can stiffen it up a bit. The rears are 5k and we raised the car about 1/2"+ from the Specialty Engineering springs I had previously. I'll keep driving it to provide more feedback. I might try to do the National Solo event in 3 weeks to get more seat time. Sadly I don't have any in car video from the event, as the video files seemed to have been corrupted or something.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I took the plunge on a "vintage sealed" Audiovox CSS-100 cruise control. I'm hoping it will work on a turbo car. I should get a chance to test it out while the world is in quarantine and it should come in handy this summer when I head to the NW for Powerland (if it's still happening) and some vacation time in the area.

1972 Datsun 510