Jason... I put a Z22 into an Astro van!!!

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
Byron510

Re: Jason... I put a Z22 into an Astro van!!!

Post by Byron510 »

Currious Matt, whats an R180A?
I've not heard of this designation - mind you the 720 and 200SX R180's are the only ones I've ever played with besides my R190 comp diff. and of course the stock R160's.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Byron,

I swear I read the exact answer somewhere, but now I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me, that the A version is applied to R180's some time in mid '86 when they switched from a 110mm to 115mm ring gear inner diameter, meaning you can't swap ring gears between the two versions. This pretty much answers my own question previously, but I was also curious about the axles and stub shafts. If what I'm trying pans out I may have a very cheap and easy CV conversion our rear ends. Right now the only thing keeping me from figuring it out quickly is trying to source parts without paying a lot since I can't find what I need in the local yards (but could order reman. stuff, etc).
I'm your huckleberry.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

No, not......................... yet. I'm pretty sure that they are different lengths, the driver's side being shorter than the other. I'll check.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs