1st project post :)

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
five&dime

Re: 1st project post :)

Post by five&dime »

I have not. I would imagine if it's running right 85% of the time than that wouldn't be the issue. It has something to do with running WOT. Maybe the fuel pump can't deliver. I am just guessing here as I don't know much about these engines
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Sounds like it could be float level being too low as well.
mikuni 001.jpg
FYI, the conversion for 12-12.5 mm is closer to 1/2" not 5/8" as Todd Walrich had scribed in the manual...
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I did notice my linkage was a little stiff. I sprayed a bit of WD while turning it. Engine ran alot smoother, but only temporary. I will try and get some new throttle return springs. Anyone have a source for Mikuni springs or are there others that will work. Also realized my parking brake cable is binded up. Whoever installed it did a bad job. It's wrapped around the trans mount to avoid hanging on the exhaust. It appears they put that on last instead of before the trans crossmember. I will jack the trans up tomorrow and slide it back under.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Defdes, are you saying that his car should have more of a rake to it? It sure looks like it has a small rake to it in the side view picture that he posted. I think it looks great the way it is. I wouldn't want a "60-70" years muscle car look to a dime, plus it would effect the handling with a large rake.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

510wizard wrote:Defdes, are you saying that his car should have more of a rake to it?
I think the front should come down about 1" and the rear about 1/2".
clouti

Post by clouti »

defdes i'm with you, i think that sounds about perfect for my liking
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I third that, it just needs to have the wheels tucking a little more.

Well, to be honest, I think it needs to come way down, but thats just not practical...but who cares about practicality when it looks sick.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

This may be a stupid question. I took the wheels off to have a look at the coilovers. There is an allen nut tightening the collar to the strut assembly. Do I just loosen that nut or remove it completely to thread the collar up/down to change the ride height?
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Just loosen it up enough to free the collar, and be sure that when you're done adjusting the ride height, don't set the screw too tightly or you'll booger the threads at that spot. To do it right, yuo'll want to use a set of scales to adjust the coil-overs, you know, the whole wobbly restraunt table trick.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

RVAE34 wrote: I want to lower the front. The car didn't come with the tools to change the height :(
I didn't think this had coil overs yet given your earlier reply....drop that thing. 510 drivers at the track carry a block w/ a 3 1/2" and 4" (I think, I have to go check mine). The 3 1/2" should slide right under the front crossmember and the 4" under the rear. This is running 205/60/13's.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

RVAE34 wrote:This may be a stupid question. I took the wheels off to have a look at the coilovers. There is an allen nut tightening the collar to the strut assembly. Do I just loosen that nut or remove it completely to thread the collar up/down to change the ride height?
What type of coilovers are they?
I'm your huckleberry.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Troy Ermish. I have never had coilovers before
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

RVAE34 wrote:I just ordered carpet from Too intense restorations.
youll be pleased.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Great!!! I also ordered two bulk packs of dynamat extreme. 72 sq. ft :)
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Just loosen the little allen bolt enough to take pressure off of the threaded sleave and the spring perch should be able to be adjusted. I wouldn't worry about messing up the threads when tightening the allen bolt either because if yours are like mine, there is a hard rubber piece under the allen, and that is what contacts the threaded portion to prevent it from moving.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."