FINALLY: 1/4 window latches / brackets

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
72nismo1
Supporter

FINALLY: 1/4 window latches / brackets

Post by 72nismo1 »

Was up Fellas just and FYI : I finally figured out that bracket that attaches to the body of car has a Left and Right side. So I just flipped the brackets and BAM! They finally lock like they should.

https://i.imgur.com/FaZDh6g.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/NJWvEaw

Was up Fellas, so I need a little help. I’m trying to see what I might be doing wrong as I already replaced my weatherstripping and now installing 1/4 windows back on 510. So I finished with drivers side but when I go to o’clock the latch closed I’m not being able to fully lock it. So the question is anybody able to post, email or text me some pictures of open and closed quarter windows. I want to see how the metal bracket that goes in frame , latch attach and other metal bracket that attaches to car go. Maybe I have something backwards.
I’d appreciate anyones help !

Thanks

Text to 323-337-4532 👍🏼👍🏼
Last edited by 72nismo1 on 30 Apr 2022 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 1/4 window latches / brackets

Post by bertvorgon »

Hopefully this helps.
Attachments
IMGP4796 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4796 (Large).jpeg (240.98 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMGP4795 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4795 (Large).jpeg (217.31 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMGP4794 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4794 (Large).jpeg (262.37 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMGP4793 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4793 (Large).jpeg (239.6 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMGP4791 (Large).jpeg
IMGP4791 (Large).jpeg (249.29 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

PERFECT!!!
Your the man!!

Thanksssss
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

Well after comparing pictures against mine everything seems the same. Only issue I’m having is my brand new window latches don’t seem to want to completely flatten out when I ocb the windows. Anyone else have had this happen to them?
Window seems locked but latch looks halfway open.
I’ll try to figure out how to post a picture
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

There is usually, a little bit of force, as the latch goes over center a bit, that is what actually keeps the latch/window closed.

You will/should feel just a bit of "resistance" as it does that and, compress's the window rubber to make a tight, wind/rain proof seal....should you ever have rain in California.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

Hey , funny thing is I’ve pushed it all the way back and it just bounces back to how it shows it in pic.
The window is locked like that cause I’ve punched the inside out to see if it will open but it doesn’t. But still Scratching my head as to why it will not close all the way 🤷🏽‍♂️
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Can you do some micro-adjustments with the screws? On mine, I can do some adjustments there. It may be because they are OE and need to be replaced though. My only other thought is that you are getting added resistance because of the new rubber. Maybe have someone push on the window while you latch on the inside? Would hate to see those pretty latches break.

Good reading here though, as I need to replace mine someday soon, because the pins keep slipping out.
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

I have the same problem. Do you happen to have the datsunlandsocal outer seals? I have them and I think they're way to thick for the frame and thus preventing the windows from completely closing before the latch can compress fully.
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

Colbino wrote: 25 Mar 2022 14:49 I have the same problem. Do you happen to have the datsunlandsocal outer seals? I have them and I think they're way to thick for the frame and thus preventing the windows from completely closing before the latch can compress fully.

I have the DATSPORT weatherstripping. And yes I can assume because there new they do need to compress with time for better fitment. And I will be trying loosing up the screws and seeing if that makes a difference. I’m also wondering if when I add the
window pinch weld,welts that goes around the car frame will help build more pressure against windows.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I would suggest that is the case.

Even when I shut my window, with still stock and supple rubber, there is a certain resistance as it compress's to the point the latch stays firmly closed. That resistance starts quite aways from when it actually closes the window. Can't imagine what that would be like with much thicker rubber...hence your problem.

Keith Law
72nismo1
Supporter

Re: FINALLY: 1/4 window latches / brackets

Post by 72nismo1 »

Finally figured out my problem!!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

GOOD..Yah...ok...what was the problem, so we can file it in our collective memory for the next person.

Keith Law
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

72nismo1 wrote: 30 Apr 2022 20:03 Finally figured out my problem!!
Care to share?
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

The original poster edited the first post above to include his comments and some new pictures to explain that he identified L and R brackets were different. I don't recall this myself, but possibly I was lucky and got it right the first time.

If you view this picture: https://i.imgur.com/FaZDh6g.jpg , you can see that the screw holes in the flange side that mounts to the body are not symmetrically placed, but biased toward one side, which would make the bracket move up or down in location on the body (presuming the other bracket is the symmetrically opposite of this condition) if installed on the other side. At least that is my interpretation of the info provided.

I'll have to check this on my car as I still have to put the second 1/4 window and latch on.