Z24 Value today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
JonnyCanuck

Z24 Value today?

Post by JonnyCanuck »

As the title suggests, I'm curious what anyone might say a running Z24 is worth?

My research suggests they're considered good as a "franken-engine" combo with other L series stuff, but dimensionally don't work on their own in 510s.

I ask because I am going to have a look at/buy a used wagon hatch that I can maybe repair before my car shows up, so the rain won't get in....

Fellow with the hatch also has a z24 engine out of a 720(?) that runs, but I believe he did a swap, so doesn't want it. He's asking $500, which seems steep to me since you can pull a VG33 from a pick n pull for like $600 with accessories, but then again the Z24 is getting rare right?

I'd even pick it up just to have, or sell on to people who are still making high power L/Z engines..... Mainly just curious.

I also currently have an L20B in the car.... Can I just slap the cross flow heads on that for moar paower? (I know it wouldn't be quite that simple, plumbing and all..... just curious what the scoop was on the engine.) I try to research things more thoroghly before asking too many questions, but this just came up, and I'd need to know before I drive 1.5 hours to get the hatch. Too late once I leave. (don't have a smartphone to ask when I get there....)
‘71 510 Wagon
‘05 Subaru Legacy GT wagon
'71 Norton
Ontario, Canada
MikeY

Re: Z24 Value today?

Post by MikeY »

Z24 block is 3/4 of an inch taller than a z22. And with a l series head it's a tight fit with the 2.2. so a 2.4 is not going to clear the hood without a scoop.
JonnyCanuck

Post by JonnyCanuck »

Thanks Mike,
I haven't forgotten our correspondance about a wagon hatch. This just came up close to me. It's not in great shape, so it may not be an easy replacement, but perhaps something to learn a little bodywork on. It does have glass, lights and locking mechanism for $200, as well as plenty of rust. But for the price?

Anyway, from a quick research blast, it seems like you can put the block under an L head, and make an L24B, sort of.... Some custom engine mounts and a couple degree of tilt to the block, will, apparently, let it fit... More fabrication than the Z22, for sure.

I wasn't especially planning on going down that road, but I guess I could entertain it. For the money, I think I'd go VG33... But that is all kinda pie in the sky.

EOD - This Z24 is not likely of great use to anyone here anyway?
‘71 510 Wagon
'71 Norton
Ontario, Canada
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

No worries on the hatch. To make a l20b or 2.2 block with lead fit I slot the motor mounts more on the pass side to tilt a bit. But at some point the oil pan will hit the cross member. That's the limiting factor. A 2.4 isn't ever going to work they way. I have heard put spacers between the both and cross member. Basically raising the car. But most want a lower car. Stay with the l20b or find a 2.2 block.
A cam and Su carbs along with an electronic ignition will make a l20b plenty fun and reliable. No one has put a cross flow head on a l20b. Unless it's a very rare race setup. $$$$
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

https://newprotest.org/projects/510/jasonGray.pl
My go to Frankenstein build info site.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Z24s were only available in the 720 truck and the D21 and WD21 Hardbody and Pathfinder.

The Z series 'cross flow' heads are terrible for flow so no. No one is going to want to put one on an L20B or anything smaller. The combustion chambers are immense in size and on an L20B you would have 7.27 compression.

The Z24 block is 1.5" taller than the L16 block. Put a blob of PlayDough on the front of your L16 valve cover and the air filter and close the hood slowly. Will it fit? I don't know but I'm hoping it will fit my 710.

L head 4.25" and about 5" at the front of the valve cover
Z head 4" and 4" for the valve cover. So 1.25" less high than an L head and valve cover and that's only 1/4" taller than the L16.

If you can get the transmission with it, it should fit with the Z series head. They are not as tall. They make about 130 torque at 2,800 but don't really rev out much due to the poor breathing. Basically good to just over highway speeds.

Z24 compression is only 8.25. If you substitute KA24E pistons it's 9.72
Z24 with L20B open chamber head the compression is 9.47
With KA pistons and L head compression is 11.24

With a 96mm stroke the 'red line' on a Z24 crankshaft is 6,250.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
JonnyCanuck

Post by JonnyCanuck »

Thanks for the information.

Doesn't sound like there is much of value in the engine to anyone then, without some serious and probably pointless work.

I was mainly curious about picking it up while I was there if anyone had use for parts out of it. Very much appreciate the details on possible other engine configurations and swap options. In this neck of the woods, I don't imagine I'll see a Z22 come up available, and even most other L engine parts are hens teeth. I suspect not many 70's import cars survived year round use in the Ontario salt bonanza very long. Hell, my '05 Subaru needs a very thorough de-rusting and repaint after the PO drove it through a decade of snow-belt winters....

I'll stick to my current plans of driving as is until the need for for a little more power rears it's ugly head. If some Webers (or SU's as mentioned, I will need to research those....) and a cam don't scratch the itch, then further investigation will be warranted. HEI was also part of the "do now" plans... too many projects, too little time.
‘71 510 Wagon
'71 Norton
Ontario, Canada
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I daily drove a '71 521 Datsun truck in the mid '70s for about 8 years in Durham Region. Eventually had fiberglass front fenders but every year I'd have to go over it to keep it air tight to keep the heat in in the winter.

Yeah I added some stuff because you never know what might click with you or someone else.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs