WTB: Oil Pan

Post your forsale and wanted ads
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

WTB: Oil Pan

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Hello there,

I need a 510 oil pan, one that keeps oil inside.

Any chance someone can post one over here? Comp style would be awesome if they exist still.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: WTB: Oil Pan

Post by datzenmike »

KiKiIchiBan wrote: 29 Nov 2022 03:05 Hello there,

If yours leaks it's likely from over tightening the bolts (naturally I don't mean you) to stop it leaking which distorts the holes into a dimple. It pinches the gasket only around the holes and leads to more tightening with little effect. Place the pan upside down on a large hard surface and with a suitable size piece of metal stock that fits the channel, carefully hammer down the dimples till flat.

Your L16 came with an L shaped piece of metal that re-enforces one of the back corners of the pan. If the pan was ever off it's easy to overlook putting this back on. It spreads the tightening bolt pressure. I had several so I cut one to wrap around the entire rear of the pan.
(yes that's a dip stick tube from a Z24 with L head).

I never use RTV on gaskets. But if you do, less is more. That which squishes out between gasket and pan or block, also squishes inwards and ends up stuck to the oil pick up screen.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

My L18 doesn't have that piece of metal. But mine isn't leaking from that area, its elsewhere. I paid someone good money to cut, extend, weld it and they've made a right mess of it. I think it'll be cheaper to get a replacement sump than to try and get mine re-done.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Warped it. Too bad.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

datzenmike wrote: 29 Nov 2022 06:23

If yours leaks it's likely from over tightening the bolts (naturally I don't mean you) to stop it leaking which distorts the holes into a dimple. It pinches the gasket only around the holes and leads to more tightening with little effect. Place the pan upside down on a large hard surface and with a suitable size piece of metal stock that fits the channel, carefully hammer down the dimples till flat.

Your L16 came with an L shaped piece of metal that re-enforces one of the back corners of the pan. If the pan was ever off it's easy to overlook putting this back on. It spreads the tightening bolt pressure. I had several so I cut one to wrap around the entire rear of the pan.

I never use RTV on gaskets. But if you do, less is more. That which squishes out between gasket and pan or block, also squishes inwards and ends up stuck to the oil pick up screen.

Does Honda Bond count as RTV? I use it on everything. I can see how Honda got it's name. The glue is amazing. My good buddy is a Lexus lead tech, I can get unlimited Toyota bond but I still buy the Honda stuff. I just did a L pan a few weeks ago. Fixed the dimples as you described and Honda bonded it. Hasn't leaked a drop from the pan!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Any chance someone can post one over here? Comp style would be awesome if they exist still.
When you say Comp style, are you referring to the current steel type? Those are available but may not qualify as "cheap". The old original cast aluminum versions are still around, but not easy to find.

https://www.dpracing.co/engine

https://ermish-racing.com/product/207497

I have a number (2-3) extras around here if you want a stock version, or need a core to modify as mentioned in the links. I don't think I have as many spare pick up tubes, so not committing to provide one of those with the pan. I am willing to ship.

Perhaps not quite the Holy Grail, but here is an example of the Al pan. I know where one is, but not for sale at this time.

https://thingsthatgovroom.net/510-comp-oil-pan/
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

datzenmike wrote: 29 Nov 2022 06:23

I just stripped down four stock unmolested 510 L16's...........none had this L bracket. I have only seen these L brackets on the L20B's & Z car 6cyl. But it is a great idea to ADD this L bracket to an L16!

OP I will have a stock 510 L16 oil pan & pick up tube (if you need). EBay offers the deepest discount on shipping (and it is 10x easier as a seller!) internationally, which I can NOT offer by selling & shipping directly to you. I can list on eBay USA, misspell the description so nobody else finds it, send you a link to buy it. I usually list it late in my day (cuz you are counting sheep!), so it is listed around when you wake up (yup, I've done this a few times). PM if interested

For anybody here in the States, I have a few 510 oil pans available to sell!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

My info shows it on drawings for the '72 and on 510 and used then on on the L18s and L20Bs. Also easy enough to remove and forget to put back on.

Yes, on the L24 and on z cars and zx. Looks longer and there is a second one down the left side of the block. The 810/Maxima has just the L shaped one on the rear and right side. Yes they are an excellent idea for an L16
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

datzenmike wrote: 01 Dec 2022 15:30 My info shows it on drawings for the '72 and on 510 and used then on on the L18s and L20Bs. Also easy enough to remove and forget to put back on.

Yes, on the L24 and on z cars and zx. Looks longer and there is a second one down the left side of the block. The 810/Maxima has just the L shaped one on the rear and right side. Yes they are an excellent idea for an L16
One of the four I stripped out came out of an unmolested all original 1972 Wagon a few weeks ago, no additional rail. The oil pan gasket was cork & was virgin, with no dents on the bottom of the pan! Interesting! 8)
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Agree, there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. Plans change after things are written. Z series do not have them, or the ones I have pulled apart don't and my info does not show them. But they would fit easily. I have a Z24 with a 710 L20B oil pan on it. Seems like they thought they needed it.