2022 Drives - Run beyond Hope

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
Byron510

2022 Drives - Run beyond Hope

Post by Byron510 »

Eh, Keith, I figured I'd start a thread here, and keep the next drive out of the Westcoast Nissan Car Show thread.
Stay tuned here for drives later this year.

You mentioned a drive to Lillooet - sounds like a great plan. Can we jump in the Fraser along the route?

Speaking of rivers, I just pulled up another favourite Hwy of ours in the area - Hwy 8 which was decimated in last November's torrent of rains that attempted to move the south coast of BC into the ocean. The helicopter shot of the 20 km of hwy covered linked below shows the decimation of this highway that had been in place for many generations. For those of us that have carved this hwy in the past, this 5 minutes of video is heartbreaking;

BC Highways site page;

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tran ... -highway-8

You Tube link to the helicopter video of Hwy 8;

https://youtu.be/teqFZCEsez0

On the bright side, we'll keep tabs on the repairs. When the road is done, most of the original route will be restored, and it'll have new pavement!

For this year, Lillooet sounds great - did we want to take in the Duffy? Just a suggestion. I don't ever expect a clear road anymore, those days are gone. But knowing it'll just be a cruise, it'd still be fun.

Anyway, we'll talk soon and gather up a 2022 fun run here on this thread.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2022 Drives - Run beyond Hope

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks Byron. Yes, this can be our thread for the summer drives.

I just can't believe the destruction on Hwy 8, what a loss.

I would like to put forth the drive to Lillooet for lunch and back the same route, at least for me. I want nothing to do with the Duffy or Sea to Sky. The Canyon and Hwy 12 are always pretty good for traffic, that being said, who knows now after 3 years and so many more people travelling. We are just cruising anyhow.

I am thinking either the weekend of July 23/24 or July 30/31. See how it goes for all of us.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I would be in for the 30th Or the weekend after. I am camping from the 17th to the 31st but I could make it for the 30th if that is the day.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
cartel

Post by cartel »

hmm I don't think the pumpkin is sorted enough for a drive that long.. yet. maybe one of my other things
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

cartel wrote: 18 Jul 2022 23:23 hmm I don't think the pumpkin is sorted enough for a drive that long.. yet. maybe one of my other things
Stick some sticky tires on the multi!
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

So, how many people would be interested in a drive next Saturday, the 30th. It is the long weekend to be aware of.

Saturday is good as most people have left for their journey and do not come back till the Monday. Gives us POTENTIALLY and better return through the Fraser valley too.

How early would people like to start...FROM HOPE? It's only about 2 hours and a bit ( with no stops) to Lillooet. No sense being too early as the A & W likely does not start lunch menu till 11:00. Or, we pack a lunch and go to the Seton lake Lookout for picnic lunch, less busy as the NEW A & W lot is pretty small and likely very busy towards lunch. Plus the Chevron gas station is almost at the Lookout for those to re-fuel. I lean to the picnic idea, just a lot nicer than the A & W lot.

I will be driving my G35 while my 510 sits in the garage...crying......

It will be an interesting drive as we see the BIG fire just outside of Lytton, the NOHOMIN CREEK fire and of course the devastation from last years fire that wiped out Lytton. So far the highway is not affected, things could change of course over the week as we head to high temps. The fire is classed as out of control at this point.

I will be heading back the same way, no interest in the Duffy or the Sea to Sky.....

let me know....
Attachments
Nohomin Creek fire
Nohomin Creek fire
fire.JPG (69.51 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Alveen240/610

Post by Alveen240/610 »

I'm in if my corolla gets fixed. Lookimg forward
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I'm in. I would like to not have to come in to town the night before. The earliest I could get there would be about 830-845.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Why don't we say 9:00 AM at the Hope Chevron, the day is ours, no rush.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just a heads up, in case anyone is affected by any smoke, it is possible the prevailing winds will make that corridor smokey.

As an addition, we could leave Lillooet after picnic lunch and head over to 97 via Pavillion and then down to cache Creek and back along the Thompson River to Lytton and back down the Canyon.

That would be an epic drive for sure. Just a thought.

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

hey guys, if you don't mind a subaru crosstrek tag'n along, i would like to drive with you all. :mrgreen:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Once a 510’er, always a 510’er Mike.
Besides, it’s still got a Hatchi diff!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The more the better support should someone need it!

Weather looks to be awesome, somewhere in the 30's+.

As I am bringing my G35, this will be the FIRST time in 44 years I will have MUSIC, other than the wonderful sound of my 510 engine. My CD player died on the way back from Sonoma in 2018 so have been trying to load music on my old tablet to play through my FM Transmitter.

The technology drives me crazy, trying to get my music off iTunes and converted to the tablet player...not easy for a 72 year old.

I am trying to figure out how to secure the tablet from G-Forces.......

I will do a test on Wednesday, as it is another motorcycle track day at Mission for the Specialty gang and I am going to go and help again..

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

So, who all might be coming on the drive?

So far I see Alveen, Byron, maybe Norm, and I.

Plan is:

Meet at Hope Chevron for 9:00 AM LEAVE
Picnic lunch at the Seton Lake lookout and then decide rest of day drive back.

temps to be close to 40C, was 40C at the Track yesterday.....HYDRATE well!

Keith Law
CP

Post by CP »

I was thinking of tagging along.

Cliff