2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It does. I'm pretty good with electrical issues. It is strange that I'm getting the same voltage everywhere.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

What is just the battery voltage?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

12.5 to 13V depending on how long it has sat.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Did you even figure this out?
I went through 5 alternators between 2005-2010. I was stumped but I kept burning the rings up.
In the end, I was at fault. I did this, every one of them but placing a HD crimp connector - and soldering it to the wires and triples shrink wrapping it for extra support, the + connector at the back of the alternator. Turns out the wire broke right at the back of the connector. But the triple shrink wrapped conection gave it support. It took 5 alternators to arc enough gap for me to finally see something was wrong. In the mean time, I always had good connection, reading a reasonable normal amount of resistance when parked, ut I assume being very intermittent when driving. This fried the diodes, burning the var ish right off the windings. I kept installing bigger pulleys thinking I was over speeding the alternators. But in the end, it was a bad connection. All it took was 5 years and 5 alternators. And yes, it was my fault. Connections that see vibration are crimped for a reason. I just outsmarted myself when building the car, and hiding all that wiring.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
iceD

Post by iceD »

"out smarted myself" one of my favourite phrases

ice D
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have not got it yet Byron. Makes me feel better that I am not the only one. I set it up this week with a brand new alternator in the car with an external battery. I kept the normal battery in the trunk to run the car. With none of the cars wiring involved it still put out 15.4V. I'm going to try it with the battery from my wife's car tomorrow and see if it doe the same thing. If it does I am well and truly stumped.
cartel

Post by cartel »

make your life easier and convert to single wire alt.. eliminate the reg completely.
6 GA wire to starter from alt.. done. add same as extra ground to frame from block
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That might be the next step. I sm using the KA alternator now.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well I just spent an hour messing around with it. With a known good battery and new alternator it is putting out 15.4v.
Both positive and negative cables to the battery read 0 ohm while the car is off. They both also read 41 ohm while the car is running. I'm officially stumped. The alternator is a bosch internally regulated from the KA. One power wire, a sense wire and wire for the idiot light. It is seeing 15.4 on the sense wire. I even made a new pigtail to make sure that wasn't the problem. This is the 4th alternator that out of the box puts out 15.4V. I have to be missing something.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hijack...Byron's alternator nightmare on Knox trip.
Attachments
IMGP3252 (Large).jpeg
IMGP3252 (Large).jpeg (496.5 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
IMGP3251 (Large).jpeg
IMGP3251 (Large).jpeg (690.7 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Do you have a nice-sized ground wire between the alternator's case and any other point in the system?
  • Try using a jumper cable to tie the alternator's case and the starter's case together and see if that helps to clean up your numbers.
  • Try using a jumper cable to ground the alternator's case back to the battery's negative terminal and see if that helps to clean up your numbers.
When you say the alternator is pushing out 15.4V, between which two specific points are you measuring that voltage? Again, I'll emphasize this point - have you properly grounded the alternator's case back to the chassis/battery?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Hey Rob, I went through with a set of jumper cables that I took one end off and put ring terminals on and did the steps you suggested except for connecting the starter and alternator together. I will try that in the morning. It is just very strange that 4 different alternators and 3 different batteries give the same result even when the car's wiring is taken out of the loop. 15.4v no matter when I do. I have measured it at the battery terminals and off the alternator. They are the exact same down to 0.1V
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

All tested with the same gauge or VOM? Maybe the reading is just inaccurate.

I'm sure that you have tried multiple testing methods, just hoping for an easy win for you on this.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

duke wrote: 15 Jan 2022 18:43 All tested with the same gauge or VOM? Maybe the reading is just inaccurate.

I'm sure that you have tried multiple testing methods, just hoping for an easy win for you on this.
I wish. 2 different multi meters and the ECU. All show the same.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Based on the last response, I'm thinking there is a latent/systemic/shitty grounding problem lurking beneath all of this... If the ECU is seeing 15.4 or whatever, then where is the ECU's main ground tied to?

When you say you are seeing 15.4 or whatever, where are you poking the two probes? Some + voltage point, and some - voltage point, but where is that exact - voltage point?

I'd say next time you see 15.4 or whatever, then take your meter and measure + probe to the R (reference) terminal at the alternator and - probe to the alternator's case. Tell us what THAT voltage reads.

This video gives a decent overview of what the Sense line is intended to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJB7cMeLwbI