72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

View and post your 510 project(s)
Rush
Supporter

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by Rush »

Oh, yikes. Well, I'm heading to Ely camping & fishing for 3 days. Hopefully, the weather will be better up there, and nice here by the time I get home. I like to have the garage doors open. :)

I'm with you, Okayfine. I'd like to back out of MN all together. :D
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

As usual, I've been sidetracked with lots of summer projects. Happens every year, I swear, but I guess with such a short time to do anything outside, you've got to get stuff done when you can. I'm now preparing for a trip back home to SoCal on the 4th until the 22nd, then my mom will be coming back with me for her month long summer visit. It's awesome, we do lots of fishing, all sorts of outdoor shenanigans and it's just a month of general goofing off. lol!

Hopefully, I'll get some hammock camping in, too! Image A person just can't spent too much time outdoors; good for the soul!

The down side of it is that I just won't have a whole lot of time to work on the 510, but I'm sure I'll pick up the pace in the Fall again. The one thing I'd really like to accomplish this summer is to get the engine in and running, so that's my goal if I get time to get some work done.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

So, after another lifetime in storage, I picked up on my 510 again. Still doing rust removal but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, as far as that goes, at least.
Day 1 (again): Rust removal. Whaaaaat? lol!

So that's where I left off today. I was in danger of being carried off by mosquitoes.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Nice to see you “back in the saddle” 👍🏻
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks! My skills are about as rusty as my car but I'll get back into the swing of things.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Oh happy day! My new panel arrived!

MikeY

Post by MikeY »

That's a great part for that repair, but equally as important is the trunk drop behind it. In a pinch I have beat a patch panel to work but the end result is not as nice as having that part. But your on the right track. Good luck.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks! I had to make an inner for the other side, too. Dang dual panels! lol!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Today's progress. I've been kind of putting off rebuilding the rest of the fender support so I finally just did it today. Not the most beautiful thing on the planet but no one will ever see it, & it's strong, so yay! :) It was one of those weird hurdles that I'm glad to be over.

Onward!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Yesterday, I started the driver's floor pan repair. I wanted to finish shaping the pan & get it put in today but it was cold & rainy. Booo.
Another question. My car has a rear sway bar, which I think is a little unusual(?). It's missing one of the brackets & I can't seem to find them online. Any suggestions?

Pics (because pics are fun!)

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Most people I know do not run a rear sway bar. There are a few types out there from what I understand. DP Racing has one so you could check with Don to see if he has the bracket.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks, FWM!
Maybe I don't even need it. I was just going to run it because that's what it's always had.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Hey Rush glad to see you back at it. Keep up the good work because when your done and driving the 510 that over whelming feeling of "I built this" will be the biggest high.

My Covid paint job I did in summer of 2020 ON MY 510
IMG_2606-2.jpg
IMG_2606-2.jpg (625.6 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Beautiful, 3B! I love the color!

I really need another garage on my property. Ugh! All the messy work I'm doing right now is fine outside but our season is so short I have a feeling Winter is going to sneak up on me again. I'm just chugging away while I can, though!

I finished with the floor, finally so the next step is my new lower quarter section. After that, a small rocker repair, and then I need to figure out what to do with the trunk well. I don't really need the space for the spare so I may just beadroll a panel & flat-floor it. One step at a time. :)
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Moving on to the driver's rocker. I cut the rust out & made a new piece. Since the weird little section that goes under the fender is such an odd shape, I didn't really think I could hammer out a new one so I ground it back to solid metal then painstakingly welded the holes shut, ground it down & put metal filler on. Needs more work, of course, but it's coming along.