Looking to pull the engine out of the car and work on it some... what am I really getting into?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
shaddai

Re: Looking to pull the engine out of the car and work on it some... what am I really getting into?

Post by shaddai »

Disassembly is fun... and insightful.

shaddai

Re: Looking to pull the engine out of the car and work on it some... what am I really getting into?

Post by shaddai »

lots more updates...

head/gasket

block

cylinder 1 closeup

bottom of block

rod bearing for cylinder 3

cleaned up block some

what's behind the flywheel

crankshaft

block again

I had to loosen two of the cam risers to slide the cam out...
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

L18 Nice!! If you had to loosen a cam tower to pull the cam out then you have binding which come about from a warped head. May have to have top and bottom surfaces cut.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

Three B's Racing wrote: 26 May 2021 08:22 L18 Nice!! If you had to loosen a cam tower to pull the cam out then you have binding which come about from a warped head. May have to have top and bottom surfaces cut.
Yup... that's the plan. I am not sure if the block needs boring or some other work (besides getting that horrid rust out!)... but it's going to go the machine shop too.
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

I picked up a new head (W53 closed chamber), and dropped it and the block (and crank, and flywheel) off at the machine shop this morning. Should have them back late this week... new pistons .030 over and standard size bearings. Nice!
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

Block/flywheel/crank/new pistons, rings, bearings etc back!

Head is getting new exhaust valves and I'll pick it up on Monday!
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

head back from the machine shop:

valve closeup

working on these damn freeze plugs...

timing chain cover is beautiful now!
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Good progress... always such a great feeling see all the shiny parts, ready to assemble :^).
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

I need to post some more pictures... still not together yet but I have the crankshaft in and gapped all the piston rings. How tedious!
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Nice! engine building is always a fun time. I see what looks like you've had the blocks head gasket surface resurfaced? Did they attach the timing cover to the block so it got cut to the same height? otherwise you'll have a height mismatch between the timing cover and blocks head gasket surfaces and possibly,,,,,possibly oil seepage issues in that area.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

Three B's Racing wrote: 30 Jun 2021 05:18 Nice! engine building is always a fun time. I see what looks like you've had the blocks head gasket surface resurfaced? Did they attach the timing cover to the block so it got cut to the same height? otherwise you'll have a height mismatch between the timing cover and blocks head gasket surfaces and possibly,,,,,possibly oil seepage issues in that area.
Yes... block was decked... I did not have the timing cover attached... yikes. I will have to pay close attention to that.

Last night I got the piston rings assembled... still not in the cylinders yet but maybe today?
shaddai

Post by shaddai »

Longtime no update here. I finally got the engine back in and running this past week. I'll have to scour the posts on Instagram and update here but I learned tons of things and made plenty of mistakes.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It'd be great to see your updates.
We'll look forward to it.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.