Oval gasket in Trunk for Fuel Lines

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
qwik510
Supporter

Oval gasket in Trunk for Fuel Lines

Post by qwik510 »

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the oval shaped gasket that the fuel lines go through into the trunk?

I am working on my fuel system and need to tackle this part soon.

Thanks,

David
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Oval gasket in Trunk for Fuel Lines

Post by okayfine »

Isn't this the same part as the gasket for the fuel lines entering from the fender well into the engine compartment? There was a lot of talk about this on the BB list a year ago, or so. Someone found something that'd work, IIRC.

I just use some split fuel line, no one sees the trunk hole except me.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I would like it seal off for exhaust fumes, etc.

Thanks,
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Gotcha. No issues with my setup, but someone on the BB list should have the result of the past conversation.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dug and dug and...finally found what I was looking for:

Subject: RE: fuel line grommet re-address
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 06:46:11 -0700

OK guys, I ordered the 238.020 & 238.021 grommets from scottsoldautorubber.com. They were about $15 ea and $9 shipping from Australia. I ordered both just to see the difference and to see which fit better. They look like they come out of the same mold and they measure the same so I'm not sure why they have different dimensions on the web site. They both measure about 1.20 X 1.93 on the outer dimensions.

The 238.020 has 2 holes in it as you can see in the photo. The small hole is at about a 45 deg angle.

The 238.021 grommet has the small hole removed and the large hole is closed off by a fairly thin wall.

Since it already has a hole in it, I installed the 238.020 in my car and it fit pretty good (see photo). It fits tight as far as the groove to sheet metal fit. But it's a little small for the oval hole. When installed, if I push it to one side, the outer edge of the grommet just barely starts to expose the hole in the panel. A simple fix that should work is to install an o-ring into the groove of the grommet to fill that gap. That should keep it snug and centered in the hole. BTW, in the photo of it installed, the grommet looks larger on one end. It's just an optical dillusion. I think my camera lens distorted it. You can see in the other photo that they aren't like that.

I plan on using the 238.021 on my car. I just need to punch a hole in it that fits my fuel line. I'll put the hole in the thick section, not through the thin wall in the existing hole. It's so thin I think it would eventually start to tear.

So, based on the alternative off the shelf choices, which are zero, I think it's a pretty good option. It looks almost stock (if that's what you're looking for) and fits OK.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Well I may have found an alternative off the shelf replacement for cheap.

How about $2.18 including shipping.

The seem to be close to the correct size. I ordered one and I will try them and let everyone know how they fit.

See them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... _810wt_795
Attachments
Oval Plug.jpg
Oval Plug.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
Last edited by qwik510 on 13 Dec 2010 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Beats split fuel line, for sure.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Well I just got home and the mail man delivered the oval plug I bought from eBay today. I ripped it open, ran out to the garage and gave it a try. It fits perfectly. Not over tight, not loose at all, just a nice snug fit.

Here is a crappy cell phone picture I just took.

For $2.18 this is a really nice cheap replacement for the NLA factory part. You will need to punch your own holes in it for your fuel line but that means it is able to accommodate many different sized fuel lines. I am running 5/16" ID braided stainless lines so I can just punch a hole a little smaller than the hose and get a nice tight fit.

I am glad that I was able to find this and share it with all of you.

One more good part to keep our little 510s on the road.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

BTW,

I am pretty sure this is the same size as the one in the engine compartment too. So order two and you will be set.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Creepy Cruiser

Post by Creepy Cruiser »

Thank you for figuring this out. I just ordered some for both cars.
This is why they call me Creepy.
The Creepy Cruiser ( My Bagged 65' Caddy Hearse), AND YES, "I DRAG THE HELL OUT OF IT." LOL. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/753364
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

GREAT find David! I'll order one too!
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

thats just what mr butters needed. got two on order thanks for the leg work. 8)
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Nice find!! I just ordered two also!! I was just under mine the other day putting my rear sway bar back on and looked at that hole, I have cut hose in there now, and can't wait to get this plug installed in there.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Ten years plus! Bringing this back from the dead to see if anyone has found a particular plug for this more recently. The original ebay link is understandably an error now.

The old auto rubber part numbers above look to be still available, but they are really too small. I measure the hole at 30 x 50 mm. I can find 30 x 60 or 25 x 55 grommets currently on ebay (China/Hong Kong). Maybe they can be squished or stretched in there.

Thanks.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

iceman510 wrote: 28 Jun 2021 08:07 Ten years plus! Bringing this back from the dead to see if anyone has found a particular plug for this more recently. The original ebay link is understandably an error now.

The old auto rubber part numbers above look to be still available, but they are really too small. I measure the hole at 30 x 50 mm. I can find 30 x 60 or 25 x 55 grommets currently on ebay (China/Hong Kong). Maybe they can be squished or stretched in there.

Thanks.
Here is a new link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Oval-Fl ... 890.l49286

1999-2006 Jeep TJ Rubber Oval Floor Pan Drain Plugs.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage