Anyone replace the fusebox with a PDM?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
broke

Anyone replace the fusebox with a PDM?

Post by broke »

Looking ahead I can see PDM's instead of fuseboxes are going to be the norm in road cars, they're already very popular with racecars.

I was thinking something like this might be nice:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/row ... ion-module

Seems pretty cheap and simple compared to buying a bunch of relays, connectors and fuses and a box and all the little things that go with it. I just want to run a normal 510 with EFI and to convert the headlights to switch through one of these instead of the full voltage through the switch.

Good idea? Bad idea? Is 6 outputs enough? Has anyone used one of these?
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
duke
Supporter

Re: Anyone replace the fusebox with a PDM?

Post by duke »

I have used the Kartek equivalent in another car and have been very happy with the simplicity, ease of setup, and extremely small size. If and when I rewire my 510 I plan on using something like the one you posted. I'm hoping that in the next few years the programmable ones (motec, life racing) come down in price, as they offer some really cool features. I agree with you though, the standard fuse and relay setup is going to be obsolete in a few years.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Maybe my old guy is kicking in but I daily my car with the stock fuse box. Seems fine to me. I guess if it doens't make my car faster I loose interest in the upgrade :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
broke

Post by broke »

duke wrote: 03 Oct 2019 06:46 I have used the Kartek equivalent in another car and have been very happy with the simplicity, ease of setup, and extremely small size. If and when I rewire my 510 I plan on using something like the one you posted. I'm hoping that in the next few years the programmable ones (motec, life racing) come down in price, as they offer some really cool features. I agree with you though, the standard fuse and relay setup is going to be obsolete in a few years.
Thanks for the feedback, the Cartek one was about the only other affordable one I could see, and agree about the motec etc ones too. I think some of them can even do things like variable fan voltage and things too.
icehouse wrote: 03 Oct 2019 09:15 Maybe my old guy is kicking in but I daily my car with the stock fuse box. Seems fine to me. I guess if it doens't make my car faster I loose interest in the upgrade :)
Haha, the benefit from my point of view is simplicity, I hate wiring and this looks like a good way to cut down on a lot of it and save some valuable space. Plus all my 510 fuseboxes are crumbling to dust and full of corrosion.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

icehouse wrote: 03 Oct 2019 09:15 Maybe my old guy is kicking in but I daily my car with the stock fuse box. Seems fine to me. I guess if it doens't make my car faster I loose interest in the upgrade :)
Haha, I understand what you mean, but I have come to appreciate a clean, easy to work on, well thought out, electrical system. When something does go wrong, it makes it much easier to fix! Also, a PDM is going to be lighter than a fuse box and relays, so it will make your car faster!

Plus, how cool is it to be able to replace something like this:

With something basically the size of a pack of cigarettes!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

duke wrote: 04 Oct 2019 18:30
icehouse wrote: 03 Oct 2019 09:15 Also, a PDM is going to be lighter than a fuse box and relays, so it will make your car faster!
Says the guy with the cast iron engine block :) hehe
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
drawks

Post by drawks »

Those Rowe Electronics PDMs look pretty slick, but I just can't figure out how (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/row ... ion-module) 3 inputs and 6 output circuit would handle even the simplest datto rewire. By my count you need at a minimum 4 inputs to handle key switch on/run, low beams on, high beams on, horn. And that still leaves only 6 circuits to do it, so horn, low, high consume 3 circuits and you've got 3 remaining circuits to handle the entire rest of the car. It's really too bad that there isn't a modular PDU at this price point, I'd love to be able to toss 3 of these of these into my car and ditch the canam box, 8 circuit fuse box, headlight relays, horn relay, fan relay and intercooler heat exchanger pump relay.

Of course there are more expensive options, Haltech's smartwire is 30 circuits with 12 hardwired inputs plus canbus which should be plenty for any car, but at 1800 bucks the price of admission is as much I paid for my entire first 510 :shock: The cartek 8 circuit panel is about $800 bucks but is huge because of the integrated button/display. Motec PDM is $1900 for 15 circuits, 16 inputs plus canbus...

I think the RyWire PDU is a repackaged BlackBox P12, which now that I'm reading about it might be the most cost effective option. $800 gets you 12x 15 amp continuous circuits which can be ganged (i.e. you can combine 2 into 1 30 amp circuit) and 10 inputs which, from their website, look like they can be tri-state (12v, gnd, floating) which mean you don't need to eat 2 inputs for lo/hi headlight switching for instance AND the software can handle things like flashing so you could factor out discrete flashers and do stuff like blink before solid brake lights.

$800 bones is still a lot of money for a "fuse box" when you can get a water proof 6 circuit + 6 relay box fully populated from Amazon for under $50. Then again, just enough deustch connectors to redo a 510 costs about $300 bucks, so perhaps going whole hog to a fully modern electrical system isn't too wild at that price.
drawks

Post by drawks »

duke wrote: 03 Oct 2019 06:46 I have used the Kartek equivalent in another car and have been very happy with the simplicity, ease of setup, and extremely small size.
When you say "equivalent" which of the Cartek devices did you use? I'm honestly curious to hear more specific experiences with this sort of system
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

drawks wrote: 15 Oct 2019 23:06
duke wrote: 03 Oct 2019 06:46 I have used the Kartek equivalent in another car and have been very happy with the simplicity, ease of setup, and extremely small size.
When you say "equivalent" which of the Cartek devices did you use? I'm honestly curious to hear more specific experiences with this sort of system
I use the 4 output one on my land speed car. It provides power for the ignition, gauges, warning lights, and data acquisition. The electrical system on the car is VERY simple, and the small Cartek PDM works great for this. With the corrosion issues that plague cars that run at Bonneville, having something that is totally sealed is a huge plus.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
broke

Post by broke »

drawks wrote: 15 Oct 2019 22:51 Those Rowe Electronics PDMs look pretty slick, but I just can't figure out how (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/row ... ion-module) 3 inputs and 6 output circuit would handle even the simplest datto rewire. By my count you need at a minimum 4 inputs to handle key switch on/run, low beams on, high beams on, horn. And that still leaves only 6 circuits to do it, so horn, low, high consume 3 circuits and you've got 3 remaining circuits to handle the entire rest of the car. It's really too bad that there isn't a modular PDU at this price point, I'd love to be able to toss 3 of these of these into my car and ditch the canam box, 8 circuit fuse box, headlight relays, horn relay, fan relay and intercooler heat exchanger pump relay.
Wouldn't it be possible to just run two (or more) of these then? Or am I missing something very obvious here?
-McWicked
cartel

Post by cartel »

i hadnt heard of the cartek one - looks interesting--
i was considering this for the 510 thats currently being assembled.

https://store.switchpros.com/sp-9100-sw ... er-system/
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie