Edward (Ted) Leathley passes

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
bertvorgon
Supporter

Edward (Ted) Leathley passes

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

I hope all are well in this insanity we call our World right now.

I found out the other day, through Norm in Sechelt, that Ted passed away. Ted was always full of humour and fun and was our 47th member in the 510 Club of B.C.. Somewhere on this site, or in one of our early newsletters, was his tale of his turbo 510 that went into "runaway" mode.

I talked to his wife Nancy last night, she is now in her 80's and STILL driving Ted's standard trans 510! As any older person, she is trying to deal with the change, our society does not make it easy at times.

I hope Norm and I can kind of help her with some issues over there to do with the car and other things.

There are still a few of our original members that are on or do pop onto this site and collectively from us, I gave her our condolences!

Rest In Peace Ted!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Re: Edward (Ted) Leathley passes

Post by 510rob »

Sad news. Thanks for letting us know Keith.

That turbo story was so terribly funny it hurt to hear it.

I have a suspicion that Ted's turbo setup is the same one that James started with after it changed hands a few times through a few people, but you never know because once in a while, bits and pieces seem to pop up again here and there out of nowhere.
gooned

Post by gooned »

I remember Ted with his big smile, the years go by eh?

And the story telling WAS superb, in tears for sure.

RIP 🏁
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I didn't ever get a chance to meet Ted. A coworker lives next door to Nancy and let me know that Ted had passed away and she was looking to move the car along to get something newer. She is still daily driving the manual 510 at 80 years old. I saw Ted many times driving around in the car. I always waved when I was driving my car but I don't think he ever saw me. There are only 2 510s on the coast here so it was hard to miss him.
I have offered my help to move the car on when she is ready and to inventory the mass of parts she has and assist with the sale of them. She is a super nice lady.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I wish I could fully remember Ted's story, I triggered him with the time I got caught drag racing a guy on Scott Road and my throttle stuck of all the damn times and the Delta police got me, as I had to shut the car off. That is a story unto itself.

I am pretty sure it is in one of the early newsletters but I gave mine all away.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Norm also reached out to me last weekend. It was sad to hear of Teds passing.
The car Nancy is still driving is my old Grey/green 68 4 door that I mentioned in another thread earlier this morning. We’ll, same shell. All that snazzy suspension got tossed in favor of all stock components going back it shortly after Ted bought the car.
Ted caught up to me in 2017 or 2018 at the All Japanese Classic show that Richard and I used to put on in North Vancouver (yeah, remember when we used to all get together and have big car shows...) It was the last time I spoke to or saw Ted in person, and the last time I saw my old car. He didn’t enter the show, just parked outside and came in to find me and say hello. It had been 15 years since I’d previously seen him, so it was good to catch up.
I remember Ted fondly, visiting him at his old house countless times in Burnaby.
Rest in peace, Ted. I will always remember your smile and constant laughter. Nancy, I do wish you the best.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Just posted ad for the car in Classifieds to 510 Club members first, as instructed by Nancy.
Noel