Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Edm620

Re: Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

Post by Edm620 »

farm implement enamel paint

Now there's an interesting thought, I'm building mine to be driven anytime anywhere and have the same desire for durability - are you limited in color choices or can you do at least a reasonably wide spectrum of choices? Not everything looks right in JD green :-)
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
Ugandan Proverb
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Edm620 wrote: 04 Dec 2021 12:02 farm implement enamel paint

Now there's an interesting thought, I'm building mine to be driven anytime anywhere and have the same desire for durability - are you limited in color choices or can you do at least a reasonably wide spectrum of choices? Not everything looks right in JD green :-)

There seems to be a pretty decent range with this manufacturer. Beyond that, it's nothing that some measuring cups and a kitchen scale can't handle for custom colors.

PaintColors.jpg
PaintColors.jpg (12.87 KiB) Viewed 2496 times

I'm not sure on the ratio of thinning/hardener for my 2.3 nozzle HVLP gun so the plan is to test/experiment on scrap metal, then in a discrete location on the truck (back of the bed where it faces the cab).
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
DADZSUN
Supporter

Project 635 - Frame is ready for FINAL assembly

Post by DADZSUN »

Man, I can't believe how long it's taken to get this build to get to the point where I can post this kind of update.

The best part of final assembly is how much it frees space in the garage! For those who haven't done this before, a stripped car takes a lot of room. I've got pieces to 3 different builds in my garage so assembling the pickup is most welcomed.

FrameFront.jpg
FrameFront.jpg (186.43 KiB) Viewed 2389 times

Since the last update the work to get to this point took a bit longer (no surprise by now). There was a bit more welding required than expected, and the scope crept up a bit. Regardless, it was worth the extra few days to get everything right.

FrameSide.jpg
FrameSide.jpg (162.3 KiB) Viewed 2389 times

Most of the extra work went into more bracing on the rear 4 subframe mounts and ensuring the new Whiteline bushings had a wide & level surface to match up to. Even though all 4 mounts have some burly double shear bracing to assist with stiffness, creating a rock-solid foundation is always best practice.

RearSubframeMount.jpg
RearSubframeMount.jpg (146.5 KiB) Viewed 2389 times

I also clearanced the forward cross brace for exhaust, and combined with the recess on the top for the driveshaft I decided some 1/4" plating on the narrowed sides of the 2"x3" brace couldn't hurt.

FrameRear.jpg
FrameRear.jpg (189.88 KiB) Viewed 2389 times

My skill with the bedliner is getting better. I only mix 1/2 portions now (due to a fairly fast reacting hardner) and with the appropriate gun distance to the surface I can lay a smooth/wet layer, or a more light sandpaper finish. One thing I can say is this stuff reeks when drying. The first couple of times I though a mouse died in the garage until I finally caught on.

FrameWeight.jpg
FrameWeight.jpg (187.49 KiB) Viewed 2389 times

Final weight of the reinforced frame is quite reasonable IMO. I was hoping for 450lbs, so the 418 was a pleasant surprise.

Next steps are to get the frame back on the ground with suspension/wheels one. I'll plumb the rear brake lines then mount the bed. With the bed mounted I can final experiment with the implement paint. The cab will stay off (I plan to paint and assemble it separately) so I have full access to the VQ35DE motor to get it fired up and troubleshoot. Only once the motor is good will the cab be finally mounted and I can start to wrap things up with electrical.
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

Looking good! At this stage it's like framing a house - visually huge progress steps, and oh so satisfying!
Ugandan Proverb
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Edm620 wrote: 18 Dec 2021 19:32 Looking good! At this stage it's like framing a house - visually huge progress steps, and oh so satisfying!
Absolutely - and similar to painting IMO. Relatively small amount of work for visually huge progress.

This is the fun stuff.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Rear suspension pics

Post by DADZSUN »

After a couple of hours this morning I had the rear subframe, springs, and dampers installed.

Rear1.jpg
Rear1.jpg (230.56 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

I figured it would be a good time to get a few more detailed pics since much of this will be hidden going forward.

Rear2.jpg
Rear2.jpg (227.85 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

I've mentioned a few times the 'double shear' (aka subframe bracing) brackets I made. The goal here is to support the lower part of the subframe mounting bolt and prevent it from flexing transversely or longitudinally.

Rear_DblShear_Front.jpg
Rear_DblShear_Front.jpg (208.43 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

Due to a lack of room, the front brackets were a challenge to resist transverse forces so I welded a piece of angled steel along the frame rail and mounting plate.

Rear_DblShear_Rear.jpg
Rear_DblShear_Rear.jpg (249.98 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

The rear bracing was a little different where longitudinal and transverse forces are resisted via triangulation to a rear cross beam. The driver's side of the brace is angled a little different to clear the muffler.

Back.jpg
Back.jpg (192.37 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

As a reminder, both damper towers fit within the stock 620 bed's wheel arches without any cutting. I do plan to make a small modification and drill a small 3mm hole on each of the bed's wheel tubs directly over the damper so I can access the adjustment (via 3mm allen key).

Most of the front suspension is mounted too. I'll get a pic posted soon of the front bracing which is a simpler designed due to having more room and only two frame studs to reinforce.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Project 635 - Front Suspension pics

Post by DADZSUN »

Fourth update this month, a sign that assembly is far less time consuming than fabrication.

FrontChassisBrace.jpg
FrontChassisBrace.jpg (221.57 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

Here's the front chassis brace. It's a pretty simple setup that ties the two front Traction Control Rods / frame studs together and further braces against a couple of nuts I welded into a small boss on the frame.

FrontChassisBraceMounted.jpg
FrontChassisBraceMounted.jpg (165.08 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

After mounting the front sway it was time to get the frame back on the ground. It rolls super easy (far easier than my 510 which makes me question the brake caliper alignment).

FrontSuspensionMounted.jpg
FrontSuspensionMounted.jpg (160.55 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

The BC coilovers seem to work great when I bounce on the frame.

FrontTowersUpClose.jpg
FrontTowersUpClose.jpg (248.33 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

For anyone who's wondering about the G35x front suspension 'floating' towers' stiffness (I certainly did), they are fastened to the frame with several pieces of 2"x3" .120 walled tubing. There is full perimeter welds on all of the tubing followed by sheet metal welded between the pieces on both sides. G35 tower brace fits perfect (albeit somewhat flexy aluminum) and finally the towers will be fastened to the cab's firewall via stiff rubber bushings. It should be plenty stiff. 8)

Next up I run the rear brake lines then reinstall the VQ and hopefully get it fired up. It ran great when I pulled it a couple of years ago but there's a lot of new sensors, a purposely-hacked wiring harness and stock ECU to bypass security and other modules typically required to run. I'm also running a return fuel system vs the OEM returnless.

I'm also keen to resume painting the bodywork while the winter weather remains relatively mild.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Project 635 - Christmas edition

Post by DADZSUN »

I hope everyone had an enjoyable holidays so far. We've been logging hours on WRC10 with a SIM setup and man it's intense!!! VERY similar mental focus/fatigue to lapping IMO. I find WRC10 quite realistic in terms of feel and ability to communicate what the car is doing w/o any G-forces. Far better than Assetto Corsa has been for me IMO...

No family travels this holidays so I was able to hammer out a few things.

GktechDiffBrace.jpg
GktechDiffBrace.jpg (173.44 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

As previously posted, I treated myself to Black Friday deals and picked up the Gktech 350z differential brace. Nicely priced and fairly easy to install, except... the rear bosses on the brace were approx 1/4" too long (circled above). I'm not sure why, but a quick trim and it was fixed.

GktechDiffBraceMounted.jpg
GktechDiffBraceMounted.jpg (184.44 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

Nice view of the Whiteline rear differential poly bushing too. Next I reinstalled the VQ/CD powertrain. Complete setup with engine oil (no tranny oil) gave me 536lbs.

VQCDWeight.jpg
VQCDWeight.jpg (136.88 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

As usual it slipped in nicely. I'll be working on getting the VQ started next before the cab gets dropped.

VQMounted.jpg
VQMounted.jpg (138.79 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

Before starting the VQ I needed to finalize the fuel plumbing from the tank to the cap. Unfortunately my optimal route was compromised with a part of the bed's floor bracing. I decided to remove several inches and then reinforcing the remaining bit with additional 1/4" plating.

FuelHardPipeCutOut.jpg
FuelHardPipeCutOut.jpg (160.94 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

The original plan was to weld a hard pipe from the tank up to the wheel well and within a couple inches of the gas cap, then run a short rubber hose to connect the two. I decided to swap the order around (welded hard pipe from the cap down with a longer rubber hose to connect to the tank) for 2 reasons:
  • Hard pipe in the wheel well would be better at resisting stones thrown from the tires
  • With my frame bracing it was almost impossible to properly tack the hard pipe to the tank
FuelHardPipe.jpg
FuelHardPipe.jpg (129.87 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

In the end it works out as I was able to leverage an existing brace within the wheel well (circled) to create a pretty rigid setup.

FirstCoat.jpg
FirstCoat.jpg (144.44 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

Finally, I punched this out today. It's only a light first coat but so far I'm pleased with the result. I'll definitely need to tweak the gun nozzle setting as the spray has too much splatter (likely the 2.3 size). Thankfully the paint does a nice job self levelling but for tomorrow's 2nd coat I'll experiment with another small nozzled gun.
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

So satisfying to see it all one color again. Love this build for all the cool Frankenmods! Driving by Spring?
DADZSUN
Supporter

Project 635 - February Update

Post by DADZSUN »

It's been awhile since the last update, and while 635 has had a couple of week-long breaks, the build has been progressing.

Several more coats of paint have been applied. I'm quite pleased with the finish - a fairly heavy orange peel. With the lack of heat in my garage to fully cure the paint, I've decided to wait until spring/summer to wet sand etc...

OrangePeel.jpg
OrangePeel.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

In the meantime, I've been slowly assembling the interior of the cab. Thankfully the electric steering column, pedalset, and brake/clutch reservoirs still all fit under the dash. I also added a mount for the electric steering control module.

UnderDash.jpg
UnderDash.jpg (175.05 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

With the truck frame exposed I also completed the front & rear brake lines. I used M5 stainless rivnuts and panhead screws.

BrakeLines.jpg
BrakeLines.jpg (175.73 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

The next part took a bit of time. When testing rear wheel travel I noticed a couple of items which needed to be addressed:
1) The truck didn't sit low enough,
2) I needed to make some custom bump-stops,
3) When cycling through the rear travel the bottom of the damper would travel a significant amount forwards.

RearDamperCollarBeforeAfter.jpg
RearDamperCollarBeforeAfter.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

1) The first issue was eased by relocating the rear suspension mounting point on the coilover sleeve/collar. This bought me 1" of lowering w/o any interference between the collar and suspension.

BumpStop_1.jpg
BumpStop_1.jpg (153.04 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

2) Bump-stops were fabricated with generic Energy Suspension bump-stop, thick tubing and top plate, and a long nut that would also seat against the frame (that way load would be shared through the tubing and nut onto the frame). This assembly was aligned over a nub on the rear upper control arm which is designed to handle potential spikes of force. Overall I'm pleased with the design, simple, light, and +/- half an inch of adjustment (see circle in pic below).

RUCA_angle.jpg
RUCA_angle.jpg (115.05 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

3) For the damper travel, after further investigation I noticed the Rear Upper Control Arm has more of a 7-1 o'clock range of motion, rather than a 11-5 as originally appeared when at full droop. THAT was a PITA to take apart and redo. I hate wasted work but when pushing boundaries with new build designs (which this project most certainly is), there are bound to be mistakes. The good news is the the revised towers are cleaner in design and arguably stronger.

ReworkedTowersBumpstop.jpg
ReworkedTowersBumpstop.jpg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

The suspension revision made me realise that while this truck was on course for Spring start-up, there would be so much stuff to sort out that it could be months before I would really start to enjoy it (trouble shoot, potentially tear apart and re-engineer etc...). Given that I'm VERY keen to get a solid Solo2/drift season in with my boys I began to reconsider where I should focus my spare time.

DistantCousins.jpg
DistantCousins.jpg (181.58 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

The decision was made to put this project on pause, and focus on my 510 which is much closer to being ready for motorsport fun than the pickup. However, there are several moderate issues plaguing my 510 which had prevented me from really enjoying it the last couple of summers. I'm confident I have a good plan to resolve these nagging issues and have it sorted out by end of March. So, 635 was lightly assembled and rolled outside to switch places with my 510. While out in the daylight, I couldn't help but take some pictures and study it in perspective to another vehicle. Interesting in that the 635 has a wheelbase 4" LONGER than my Xterra. Track width is approximately 6" narrower.

DatsunGarage.jpg
DatsunGarage.jpg (115.07 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

Besides my personal builds, the majority of my focus (throughout the winter and upcoming spring) has been on finishing a customer's 510. Once done, 635 will resume (ETA mid-summer). The exciting part is that I feel I'm actually getting quite close now (relatively speaking). The body will get another round or two of paint/sanding, the motor still needs to start, electrical needs to be done, then final assembly of interior/glass. THEN shakedown will commence, and hopefully completed by fall.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

That's some brake line mastery there!
Regards,
Owen
72 Datsun 510 2 door - 2.3 LZ with 280zx 5 speed
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - PROJECT
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
64 Studebaker Commander - 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI - 260 4 speed
DADZSUN
Supporter

Quick May update

Post by DADZSUN »

Not much has progressed on 635 since the last update. I've finished another large axle order, completely re-wired my 510 (amongst other things on a long list of things to do) and am focusing on a customer build.

However, I did take time to roll 635 out for some fresh air. The finish (flares, doors, bed/cab alignment) is not done but it was fun to get a rough idea.

Profile.jpg
Profile.jpg (263.72 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

First thing I noticed was just how bright that white is. I literally need to fetch some sunglasses to really look at it.

3-4_Rear.jpg
3-4_Rear.jpg (398.84 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

Second thought is how much it reminded me of those VW Caddy (pickups). Honestly, I was hoping for a bit more of a beefier 'truck' setup so I might reconsider wider rims/tires in the rear.

Rear.jpg
Rear.jpg (130.61 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

Final though was just how narrow/small that truck is. When it's beside the Crosstrek, which in itself isn't a large vehicle, it's noticeably narrower.

Regardless, it's nice to see a better rendering of the final version. I am hoping to have it running by late summer/fall.
Edm620

Post by Edm620 »

Build is looking real good, nice to get the sunlight on it!
Ugandan Proverb
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

This is SUPER cool!!!!
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Thanks for the feedback! My boys are taking notice and starting to take dibs on who drives it. :lol:

Front.jpg
Front.jpg (217.37 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

Here's a few pics with more assembly. Corner lights, flares, front bumper, grill, etc... That S10 front airdam does little to cover the front tires but still looks cool IMO. 8)

FrontAngle.jpg
FrontAngle.jpg (204.14 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

Honestly, the bodywork/paint is pretty shitty. Actually, the farm implement paint turned out pretty well (not yet wet sanded so more gloss coming), the bodywork underneath is another story. I'm sort of 'meh' about the bodywork because I can see this truck being driven HARD (hauling bikes/stuff, burnouts & going sideways LOTS, 90% DD duties except for snow) and I really don't want to care if it gets beaten up... My primary goal is for it to be durable & FUN.

Profile_27.jpg
Profile_27.jpg (252.48 KiB) Viewed 1517 times