My clutch kit matches the tranny what about flywheel?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
grimlid

My clutch kit matches the tranny what about flywheel?

Post by grimlid »

Hi Guys,
I know stupid question. Im putting a z series tranny in my 510 with L16 original .
Ive got a 5 speed tranny working to identify, Im pretty sure its a 77-80 z series tranny based on a few things. the only serial stamp on it L3 right next to the back up wires.
Im going to order my clutch kit to match a z series tranny. Im thinking to get a new flywheel also. My understanding is the flywheel must match the l16 due to the bolts and bolt pattern at the motor.

Is this correct: L16 flywheel and z clutch kit? for an L16 with a z tranny?

thanks in advance my mechanic insists I get all the parts prior to job start and I want to be fully prepped.
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.
MikeY

Re: My clutch kit matches the tranny what about flywheel?

Post by MikeY »

The clutch must match the flywheel. The l16, 5 bolt flywheel has a 200mm dia.friction area. So you want a 510 200mm clutch kit. Or some who want a stiffer clutch will get a roadster 200mm clutch. They are pretty rare now. The throwout bearing should match the clutch not the tranny as well. So keep the bearing sleeve you currently have. Just replace the bearing.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

https://datsunparts.com/products/datsun ... clutch-kit
You can see how expensive the 650kg Roadster clutch is now. There might be cheaper out there. This was just a guick google search.

This eBay 600kg kit is a bit more reasonable.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/233202857988?mk ... media=COPY
But any 510 clutch kit will work.
grimlid

Post by grimlid »

MikeY wrote: 26 May 2024 08:28 The clutch must match the flywheel. The l16, 5 bolt flywheel has a 200mm dia.friction area. So you want a 510 200mm clutch kit. Or some who want a stiffer clutch will get a roadster 200mm clutch. They are pretty rare now. The throwout bearing should match the clutch not the tranny as well. So keep the bearing sleeve you currently have. Just replace the bearing.
Thanks Mikey,
I got similar informations from Datzenmike. I really appreciate your feedback and thanks for the links.
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.