Mary-Ann, stock one-owner 1972 Wagon

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Mary-Ann, stock one-owner 1972 Wagon

Post by okayfine »

Man, I take back everything I've said about East Coast 510 owners not having easy access to parts, car shows, and swap meets. David is a one-stop shop.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Pretty sure Rich rebuilt the stock carb when he had the car. I never was a fan of the stock carb. But then again, I am more of a pull and replace kind of guy.

I always liked the weber carb. It is easy to replace and works great.

My first 2 door 510 was bought from a little old lady in 1987. It had 32K miles on it and was so clean. It would barely run and her mechanic had told her he would need to rebuild the carb. I bought it and ordered a weber and installed it and the car ran great. That was the first tinkering I ever did to a 510. Paid $800 for the car and just under $200 for the Weber kit back then.

Best $1000 I ever spent.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

qwik510 wrote:Pretty sure Rich rebuilt the stock carb when he had the car. I never was a fan of the stock carb. But then again, I am more of a pull and replace kind of guy.
But we can't troubleshoot it in any case, as the current owner can't even tell us if the timing is right.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

okayfine wrote:
qwik510 wrote:Pretty sure Rich rebuilt the stock carb when he had the car. I never was a fan of the stock carb. But then again, I am more of a pull and replace kind of guy.
But we can't troubleshoot it in any case, as the current owner can't even tell us if the timing is right.
True. But the engine runs strong and seems really responsive other then the slight hesitation/stall under immediate load. Might just be the accelerator pump but never can tell till you take it apart.

I say throw a weber at it and see what happens.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
DownShiftRecords

Post by DownShiftRecords »

qwik510 wrote: I think blunt is what is needed.
BY ALL MEANS PLEASE BE BLUNT! I have no problem hearing that I'm wrong, because that means I can work towards being right in fixing the problem :)
okayfine wrote: The "How To" book is excellent, and is exactly what you need
Just bought a copy 15 minutes ago off Amazon. Should be here next week
okayfine wrote: The L20B is a great idea.
Okay, then that's the goal! I don't want to rush my first project. I mean sure, the quicker things go right the better, just as it would be for any projects, but that's it: I want to do it right!
qwik510 wrote: Then write a plan and a list of all the work that needs to be done. Then write a budget and a timeline. Then, triple the budget and the timeline.
^ I do know I will need help with the planning. If you're free soon, maybe you could help me with that over coffee or lunch (my treat of course for the help).
qwik510 wrote: I do still have the L20B. I also have a dogleg and the pedal box and most of the other items needed for the swap. I also have a set of SU's that are nice. ... I say throw a weber at it and see what happens.
I'll happily purchase the L20B off of you if willing to sell.
qwik510 wrote: Others with experience, PLEASE CHIME IN!
Yes, please do because as you can see, I need all the help I can get :P
http://www.youtube.com/user/DownShiftRecords?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I wrote an entire article about how to plan a project. It is linked from the Suggestions thread in the Intro forum.
DownShiftRecords wrote:BY ALL MEANS PLEASE BE BLUNT! I have no problem hearing that I'm wrong, because that means I can work towards being right in fixing the problem :)
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I've been telling you to get some tools and get dirty since summer.
DownShiftRecords

okayfine wrote:I wrote an entire article about how to plan a project. It is linked from the Suggestions thread in the Intro forum.
DownShiftRecords wrote:BY ALL MEANS PLEASE BE BLUNT! I have no problem hearing that I'm wrong, because that means I can work towards being right in fixing the problem :)
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I've been telling you to get some tools and get dirty since summer.
Alright, I'll check that article out tomorrow after my final exam.

There's a....medical reason as to why very little has gotten done since summer. I wont really go in depth but it set me back to a point where Mary-Ann kept losing priority. But with the loads of treatment I've been receiving and my last final exam tomorrow, I'll have about a month and a half to get things back on track. I don't plan on wasting the opportunity
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DownShiftRecords wrote:There's a....medical reason as to why very little has gotten done since summer. I wont really go in depth
No need. We on the other sides of the screens never know the whole story, only what we get presented with from your side of the screen. If you're back posting and that means your better or on the mend, that's more important than my opinion of what I think you should be doing. Um, as long as you're not going to swap an SR next year :lol:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

BTW, you will LOVE the "How To Keep Alive" book. You'll find whatever you paid for it was a bargain. I bought a spare so I could see if the author will let me digitize it, but even he won't, there's artwork in them-there pages.
DownShiftRecords

okayfine wrote:Um, as long as you're not going to swap an SR next year :lol:
LOL no no, I like the L20B idea. To be honest I'll just be happy to get it to manual. I learned on standard and drove standard for 3 and a half years before buying Mary-Ann. It'll be good to have stick back :)
amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker »

DownShiftRecords wrote: BY ALL MEANS PLEASE BE BLUNT! I have no problem hearing that I'm wrong, because that means I can work towards being right in fixing the problem :)

You are brave egging on okayfine like that.

Joking aside, you seem like you have the passion to own a 510, you just need to take a step back and evaluate your needs, not wants. I was in something of the same boat with my first 510. I was given a fresh KA24DE by my older brother and things spiraled out control. I came to my senses and pulled my now "race 510" off the road because I banged my head on a rollcage tube. That, combined with the full coilover setup, big brakes, gutted interior convinced me that it took that build too far. I still own that car and have plans to get it back on the track this summer, but I made it up to the 510 gods by picking up a stock 2-door and leaving it as stock/simple as possible.

I highly recommend following the advice given to you by two of the more seasoned 510 owners. Plan for and execute a simple L20/5-speed swap and I think you'll be happy. I hope all goes well with you medically, best of luck.

Adam
71 510: 4-Door, KA swap, Work in progress (Race)
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Yep, I rebuilt the carb, new accel pump too!! I don't think it's the carb, but those carbs are really not that great to begin with. I just couldn't seem to get that hesitation out of it. I would also get an electronic dizzy too, that's a really good improvement over the stock points.

Reason I don't think it's the carb, because it only does it under load, or now when you just put it in gear you are saying it dies just at idle. If it were the carb I would think it would hesitate or miss with the trans in neutral, just hitting the gas, but it doesn't. I think it's the Dizzy or something to do with the Transmission. Is there some kind of transmission control box that interconnects the trans electrically with the engine?? like the Dizzy??

As for the SR swap, yeap it's expensive and it gets overwhelming fast!! take your time researching that swap..
DownShiftRecords

I just got back from my Maryland to Chicago to New York road trip and I found this at the door :D
Time to start reading!

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It's a great book - a worthy investment in your time alone :D

I bought my brother a copy when he got into his 510.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DownShiftRecords wrote:Time to start reading!
You'll probably learn more from that than you have from the internets as a whole. The best manual I've seen for any car, anywhere.