1969 bluebird coupe sr20 build

View and post your 510 project(s)
goichi1
Supporter

Re: 1969 bluebird coupe sr20 build

Post by goichi1 »

yea, the ZX cup is plastic, it had two or three bendy tabs spot welded to the tank, the plastic cup had slots for the tabs to go through, you just slid them through and bent the tabs down....that's it. I didn't weld any tabs in, I simply let the pump housing hold it in place, it's impossible for it to move once the pump is installed. The pump even has a rubber foot that will press up against the plastic cup and hold it down to the bottom of the tank. As long as you get the length of the pump housing right it holds fine. I think this is by far the best way to add an EFI pump to the car without altering the appearance or messing with trying to fit some other tank or electric pump.
larooj42

Post by larooj42 »

goichi1 wrote:yea, the ZX cup is plastic, it had two or three bendy tabs spot welded to the tank, the plastic cup had slots for the tabs to go through, you just slid them through and bent the tabs down....that's it. I didn't weld any tabs in, I simply let the pump housing hold it in place, it's impossible for it to move once the pump is installed. The pump even has a rubber foot that will press up against the plastic cup and hold it down to the bottom of the tank. As long as you get the length of the pump housing right it holds fine. I think this is by far the best way to add an EFI pump to the car without altering the appearance or messing with trying to fit some other tank or electric pump.
so im probably gonna do that what year zx is it? And its not gonna starve my sr even with mods?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

larooj42 wrote:how hard was it? and NBD? sorry im newb as all helll
SX in-tank pump conversion is documented here:

DQ Volume 6 Issue 2 - EFI In-tank Fuel Pump Installation: -- EFI engines need high-pressure fuel delivered to them. With EFI engine swaps becoming more common amongst Dimers, supplying adequate fuel becomes another issue on the To Do list. This article will detail the installation of an in-tank EFI fuel pump into a Datsun fuel tank.

Available at The 510 Archives.

NBD = No Big Deal.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

larooj42 wrote:And its not gonna starve my sr even with mods?
We don't know which mods. In any case you can get aftermarket pumps that are uprated should you need it. They'll replace the factory pump unit itself, but you'll still need the rest of the assembly to bolt it into.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yea, you got to figure, the ZX turbo is a 6 cylinder, with a turbo, that's 2 extra injectors, so I think it will do pretty good with moderate mods. but I am no modification calculator, but like Julian said, you can buy direct fit high performance pumps for the zx, which will now fit your newly installed zx pump housing. I think the year you want is 86/87 300zx. There's one in the local yard here, but i can't remember if its a turbo or not, I will probably go and pull it soon for a future project.......
larooj42

Post by larooj42 »

okayfine wrote:
larooj42 wrote:how hard was it? and NBD? sorry im newb as all helll
SX in-tank pump conversion is documented here:

DQ Volume 6 Issue 2 - EFI In-tank Fuel Pump Installation: -- EFI engines need high-pressure fuel delivered to them. With EFI engine swaps becoming more common amongst Dimers, supplying adequate fuel becomes another issue on the To Do list. This article will detail the installation of an in-tank EFI fuel pump into a Datsun fuel tank.

Available at The 510 Archives.

NBD = No Big Deal.
okay IM ON IT! :-D
larooj42

Post by larooj42 »

Sorry for all the questions but the wilwood kit comes with the master cylinder, the bluebird sss comes with like a brake booster do they work together?
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Did you really look through my thread?? if you are getting the kit from Troy ermish, it will work, but you will need to do a few small mods to get it to fit. You will have to mill out the small brake master mounting plate that mounts it to the booster. There might have been something else, but can't remember, but I do know it will work, because I used it.

I even put the newer master on my wagon, since I have it off I can probably take a pic of that mounting adapter that I milled out, I just used a de-burring bit on my die grinder to mill it out to fit. It wasn't that hard. I know it works because I did all this before I tore my wagon apart to do the SR swap. Here's a pic of it installed.
Attachments
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG (104.02 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
larooj42

Post by larooj42 »

goichi1 wrote:Did you really look through my thread?? if you are getting the kit from Troy ermish, it will work, but you will need to do a few small mods to get it to fit. You will have to mill out the small brake master mounting plate that mounts it to the booster. There might have been something else, but can't remember, but I do know it will work, because I used it.

I even put the newer master on my wagon, since I have it off I can probably take a pic of that mounting adapter that I milled out, I just used a de-burring bit on my die grinder to mill it out to fit. It wasn't that hard. I know it works because I did all this before I tore my wagon apart to do the SR swap. Here's a pic of it installed.
Do you have a build thread for the wagon too? I was reading your coupe build
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Back to in-tank pump mods:
Some folks have used a Q45 tank flange and Q45 in-tank pump for the mod. Might be easier to find, cheaper, and flow should be fine if it can feed that Infiniti V8. Might be worth looking into.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
larooj42

Post by larooj42 »

GOICHI1:
i have one too
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Nice!! looks like it has some pretty cool mods too! mine is just factory stock, doesn't run and needs a complete restore. that's another project down the road. Your's looks nice!
larooj42

Post by larooj42 »

goichi1 wrote:Nice!! looks like it has some pretty cool mods too! mine is just factory stock, doesn't run and needs a complete restore. that's another project down the road. Your's looks nice!
its got the racing cowl and spoiler chamber and an automatic 2speed
larooj42

Post by larooj42 »

sorry guys..... been laggin like a mofo!! well some parts came in.. i bought a dual action sander and about to get this crackin
Image its doable...
indy510

Post by indy510 »

Dammn ...... I saw those 15x8.5's on yahoo Japan right before you won the auction a couple months ago

I knew they would fit a 510 with a mild pull on the rear fenders,, you already have that .... you'll need (unmodified) stock camber / rear trailing arm pivots, and maybe slightly streched tires

Never seen a pair of longchamps that size/offset ..... what's your plans for tires? ... 225/45 might fit.... or 205's ...... 195/45/15 Toyo's look "okay" on 15x9's