1969 Datsun 510 2Dr Z22 turbo EFI build

View and post your 510 project(s)
Grinder

Re: 1969 Datsun 510 2Dr Z22 turbo EFI build

Post by Grinder »

Square head ports meet round manifold ports :)

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That's pretty cool that you were able to obtain this part and make it work for you. Look forward to your future progress.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

It's starting to look like a Ford 351 Cleveland 4V head!
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Pretty much done with the head now. Lapped the valves in and hot tanked the head. There's one seat that has a nick in it we'll try to polish out then a quick clean and install the valves and cam. Had the old piston wrist pins pressed out and the new pistons and wrist pins installed. Sent that to the machinist which is the only machine work so far for a total of $62. Pistons are installed and started painting the block. One coat of primer over the old paint and a coat of semi gloss black engine enamel.

Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Fixed the last valve seat with the nick in it. All the valve springs and valves are re-installed. Spark plugs gaped and semi-indexed (picked the best of for the eight). Painted the head with high temp exhaust manifold paint to match the block. Ready for cam reinstall. The hot cam for the L28ET is the L28E NA cam. Hopefully the Z22 NA cam works well for a turbo application. Still undecided as to what turbo to run on this build. Probably will start with a T3 from an L28ET. I think a GT28 or GT30 would likely be a good final build turbo for this application. Big returns from a methanol injecton for the L series head and a boosted application - not so sure the hemi style head here will need the methanol as badly. Something to ponder for the future....

510rob

Post by 510rob »

It doesn't look like you are going to o-ring the block
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

I hadn't planned on it. I'll be starting off running 7 psi with a T3 and won't likely run over 12 with that turbo as it really starts to fall off it's map. I've got lots of other builds so I wasn't planning on buying a T28 or something more suited for the engine. I am, however, curious as to how an HX35 would run. It has an excellent map and almost spools like a BB turbo. Efficiency of the turbo is super important and usually gets glossed over. I'd rather run at a lower boost level more efficiently and make the same power as a poorly tuned engine running double the boost.

Is there a reason you'd recomend running a copper o-ring?
Octave

Post by Octave »

Had a buddy with a hx35. I wouldn't recomend it for the 200whp turbo as it's pretty Laggy. Its spool like a BB turbo yes but like a 35r turbo which still is laggy compared to a straight t3 or t28. All though at 25 lbs of boost in a built SR once it spooled there wasn't many cars around here that could touch it on the interstate. He was front wheel drive to which hurt his traction on a dig at the track. I ran better times with my smaller turbo but alas this was 1/8th mile. I myself moved from garret style turbo's to DSM styled turbo's but used a kustom T25turbine housing to be able to use My stock manifold.

I had a shop rebuild a garret 3 times and then ditched it after the last time it blew. A buddy gave me a blown turbo off a Caterpillar back-hoe. I rebuilt it with Kinugawa turbine and center section parts. I ran it for over a year 17psi daily driving and the new owner of the car is still daily driving it now. After the turbine swap it was a Td06sl2-17g. Just a smidge smaller then the 18g wheel. Pulled like a freight train.

This is not your typical cheap Ebay turbo. This one is in the power range of a t3 and fantastic spool. Basically is the EVO turbo but with a T3 inlet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinugawa-Turboc ... 2325aae50c
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Hey good to know about the Kinugawa - never even made the radar. I'll check it out for sure. Might even be decent for the L28ET :) I've got a GT35R for one of them but like I said I've got lots of projects on the go ;)
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Cleaning out the garage (SLOOOOOWLY...) and found a scrap Z22 head - side by side of the exhaust ports:

Grinder

Post by Grinder »

So apparently when I was told to use the L20b ARP set on the Z22 the person was assuming I was building a LZ. The L20B studs are WAY too long for the Z22 with the stock head and they don't make a Z22 kit (or any NAPS Z kits for that matter). I think I've found a stud that will work. ARP sells these as a individual stud - M10 x1.25 x 1.50 x 109mm PN: AM 4.300-2LB so 10 of these, 10 washers and nuts should make a Z22 ARP head bolt kit :) Just talking with ARP to find out if they'll make a kit of these to buy direct from them or through their suppliers so I can get this thing together!
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Grinder,

With all the help and advice you've given me on my build, I'd assumed (quite myopically it turns out) that you were an SR guy. Obviously I've grossly under estimated your ability to pursue something so unique. I admire individuality, and I'm always impressed with the skill and ingenuity it takes to pull off a build such as this,

There are unknown treasures for those brave souls who take the road less traveled... :wink:

All the beat,

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Well Ron I appreciate the kind words but I don't think I'm the guy you were thinking about which probably makes more sense about me being an SR guy :) On that note I would love to do an SR swap but they are pricey and I like the adventure of the build. I think the Z22 will be a capable engine and it's kind of cool making it EFI and turbo when it never came in that flavour. Also using the Z head that usually gets tossed makes the build interesting :) I just started messing with cars a few years ago - long time fan but never had the opportunity/bravery to start playing/fixing/breaking-fixing. I read a LOT and like figuring out how it all works then I look for things to optimize so this is a perfect project for the Engineer in me :)
datso

Post by datso »

Id love to see a better inlet manifold for the Z head I feel the inlet for the first port number 1 to be restricted otherwise a really lovely build ingenious use of KA manifold
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

datso wrote:Id love to see a better inlet manifold for the Z head I feel the inlet for the first port number 1 to be restricted otherwise a really lovely build ingenious use of KA manifold
I may build a custom intake plenum and runners down the road for this but for now the stock 200SX bolts on and I've ported the runners out and port matched them to the head.. I would like to see larger runners as well. The L series runners are quite restrictive for the EFI engines (L28, etc) but the KA runners are HUGE. I'm doing a custom plenum for the L28ET so I'll probably do the Z22 at the same time.