Another 72 510 build in So Cal... not going for looks

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: Another 72 510 build in So Cal... not going for looks

Post by Byron510 »

Silver04RS wrote:
okayfine wrote:Did you try to lube the latches? Is the tab bent?

You can attach the seat belt cutters to your stock stuff, but if you get knocked silly/out hitting the steering wheel or windscreen, you're not going to get out of the Simpson belt anyway.

You can mount the rest of your Simpsons to the rear belt mounting points if the angles are acceptable, or to the blind nut in the c-pillar.
No I did not try and lube the latches or and no they were not bent. But they did not work well and the material is 40 years old. I had a brand new set of belts in my garage and this seemed like a much better option to me.

And yes, if Im knocked out I know I will not be able to release a seat belt.... but its better than going through a windshield.

As for mounting the shoulder harnesses I have no intention of doing so until I have something suitable to hang them from. The last thing I need is to hit something hard and compress my spine due to having them mount to the floor or back seat.

Dave Patten wrote:
Silver04RS wrote: Well I figured they would be better than the stock lap belts as they wouldn't trap me in my car if for some reason I needed to get out in a hurry. I spent close to 2-3 minutes yesterday at one point trying to get my lap belt loose... made me think

Your "made me think" comment reminded me of a story and a situation I was in.

Story - My Dad's buddy raced stockcars in the '60's & '70's. One night he rolled the car on its roof and couldn't get the "safety" belts undone. The emergency workers finally got him out of the car. (These were old OE type seat belts like in your 510.)

Fast forward a number of years. I was road racing my car and rolled it onto its roof. Hanging upside down from the safety harnesses, the thought of being stuck like my Dad's buddy flashed thru my head. About as fast as the thought came, I had the racing belts undone so I could get out.

Go with the latch type belts, even with 250# (then) hanging from a 5 point racing harness, they unlatched without any extra effort.

One word of advise though, if you do find yourself in an upside down car hanging from the seat belts, one hand on the roof and both knees braced against the steering wheel does little to control your free fall when you undo the belts.
good story and thanks for the advice

-TB
Your thinking is sound on the improper mounting of the belts. Unfortunately I once had to deal with an accident scene where a guy had improperly mounted his shoulder belts directly to the floor behind the drivers seat. I helped extract him from the wreckage of a car, get him immobilized on a back board in order to transport him to the hospital. Not a good thing.
On the flip side, certainly I would agree that it's a good idea to have the shoulder belts in place.
On my first auto x car, being a street car without a cage, I mounted the belts through the vertical panel above the rear package tray just below the rear window. Structurally it's a very strong area across the car. I built a 10" long doubler plate formed to the curve of the panel and drilled and mounted the seat belt eye bolts through it all.the height was better than using the lower belt points but you will require long shoulder belts to do this.
Just an experience I thought I'd share with you.
The topic is close to my heart. My brother and a friend crashed my rally car on a back road, both were only wearing the lower section of their harnesses. Both were air lifted to the ICU, my brother made it out in three weeks with a broken sternum and various internal injuries which now 6 years later he still suffers from. And he was the lucky one to have a steering column to slow down his impact. His friends back was broken, and he spent a year in a locked brace....
So unfortunately I've personally dealt withheld bad side of seatbelts and thief use. I wouldn't wish these experiences on anyone.

Take care.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Aside from the realities of lap-only belts as Byron documents are only too real, the 510 has mounts for belts at various points.

Whether the rear lap belt mounting points are suitable for you (whether they violate the magic 45° angle) depends on your seat, and where and how it is positioned. That said, there remains the blind nut in the c-pillar that can accept belts, since it is built that way by the factory for rear shoulder belt mounting.

Given your motorsport history (and the safety built into your RS), I'm surprised you'd be willing to run lap-only belts on the street where the dangers are just as great as a rally accident, but more likely. $70 gets you a brand new driver's side 3-point belt (in your choice of colors!). It just seems poor economy to run the free lap-only piece.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

okayfine wrote:Aside from the realities of lap-only belts as Byron documents are only too real, the 510 has mounts for belts at various points.

Whether the rear lap belt mounting points are suitable for you (whether they violate the magic 45° angle) depends on your seat, and where and how it is positioned. That said, there remains the blind nut in the c-pillar that can accept belts, since it is built that way by the factory for rear shoulder belt mounting.

Given your motorsport history (and the safety built into your RS), I'm surprised you'd be willing to run lap-only belts on the street where the dangers are just as great as a rally accident, but more likely. $70 gets you a brand new driver's side 3-point belt (in your choice of colors!). It just seems poor economy to run the free lap-only piece.

3 point drivers side belt?

maybe this is where we were having a beakdown in comunication... was a 3 point stock in the 510? Mine only had a lap belt (which I assumed was stock)

Hopefuly soon I will have time to sling some tubes (I actually mean have someone do it for me) and can get the upper half of these belts secured.

-Travis
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

3-point belts were stock in USDM 510s for the driver and passenger. Rear USDM passengers had lap-only belts, but there are provisions for 3-point mounting in the rear as well.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Silver04RS wrote: 3 point drivers side belt?

maybe this is where we were having a breakdown in communication... was a 3 point stock in the 510?
I never even thought to question you on this, but absolutely there were # point belts in all 510's here in NA.

Up beside your head (either on the B pillar or up at the drip rail level on the roof, you'll find holes where the shoulder belt once attached for both front seats.

Sorry that we all took it for granted that you knew this. But it's clear now :wink:

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

The factory belts in my 72 have a shoulder belt that can be disconnected from the lap belt. It can be run as a three point, or you can disconnect the shoulder belt ,clip it up and out of the way , and just use the lap belts. Possibly the shoulder belt portion was removed on your car before you purchased it.
Attachments
Shoulder belt top mounting bolt hole.
Shoulder belt top mounting bolt hole.
IMG_3182.jpg (105.99 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

Byron510 wrote:
Silver04RS wrote: 3 point drivers side belt?

maybe this is where we were having a breakdown in communication... was a 3 point stock in the 510?
I never even thought to question you on this, but absolutely there were # point belts in all 510's here in NA.

Up beside your head (either on the B pillar or up at the drip rail level on the roof, you'll find holes where the shoulder belt once attached for both front seats.

Sorry that we all took it for granted that you knew this. But it's clear now :wink:

Byron
okayfine wrote:3-point belts were stock in USDM 510s for the driver and passenger. Rear USDM passengers had lap-only belts, but there are provisions for 3-point mounting in the rear as well.

Too funny

OK..... On to the next thing
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

Well I was able to get some work done on my car this weekend so Im pretty stoked.

I actually found a set of struts / coilovers / brakes in the clasifieds here on the Realm that was local so I went to check them out. Turns out not only did he have the front suspension for sale but since he was hard up on cash I took his wheels and tires as well.... Normally Id feel bad about having someone part their car out but it was either part it out or sell the whole thing

Here is the car my parts came from... all original paint and looking good

All loaded up in the toaster and ready to head home

When I got home I locked the parts and the car in the garage for a bit to get to know eachother. I figurer there kinda like dogs... they need to sniff around and get used to eachother before you unbolt part of one and put it on another ????

First thing I did was bolt on the back tires and lower my fenders down on my tires ... Yippe 15X7 +0's

Next up was a BFH and some man power

Now my beater had two fender lips on each side... WTF???

So we rolled both of them .... and moved the inner fender a bit as well

Before

After

Next up was the front-

Stock 510 VS the new stuff :)

and all bolted on and bled-

and heres how she sits

I still need to get the back sorted out on the car. The drivers side is very low.

When the pocket book allows :)

-Travis
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

So this weekend I went ahead and with the help of my brother (who grew up owning multiple 510's) we checked the clearance of the valves. All were in spec except for one and I couldnt believe how easy they were to adjust.

Also I have an issue with my distributor. If I hit a pothole or wiggle it the car will die (loses spark) and I have to wiggle it around to get it running again. Is there something that wears out in these (it has a slight rock to it)

Also, can someone identify what this is from?

My next iussue is my linkage on my SU's. The linkage does not aprear to be adjustable side to side and has a liot of slop on the 1&2 cylinder. I tweaked a few things to get them close but I need to track down new linkage for these if someone has a link to a shop with parts

I was able to get them fairly close eyeballing it and she seems to be running much better

Also I drove the 510 to work today... made the 55 mile trip with flying colors!!

Last edited by Silver04RS on 26 Nov 2012 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Silver04RS wrote:Also I have an issue with my distributor. If I hit a potgole or wiggle it the car will die (loses spark)
Sounds more like a bad/intermittent connection than wear in the dizzy shaft. The bearings and such can wear, giving slop at the rotor end. But this typically gives you wonky timing control, not a engine-off condition.

You can figure out what the dizzy is from by reading off the model stamped in the side of the dizzy body, then looking it up here or in the DQ backissues.
Silver04RS wrote:My next iussue is my linkage on my SU's. The linkage does not aprear to be adjustable side to side and has a liot of slop on the 1&2 cylinder.
Hard to tell from the cropped picture, but it would appear you have Z-car carbs on there. They required funky/custom linkage setups as they rotated backwards of the 510 SU/linkage. The stuff you have is non-standard and likely to have issues. There are ways around that, but involve more custom. Standard 38mm SU linkage used to be available from NISMO, but no longer, and hence unless someone has NOS stuff the stock stuff is NLA.
Silver04RS wrote: I was able to get them fairly close eyeballing it and she seems to be running much better
If you don't have a UniSyn gauge, you need one.
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

Thanks for the info!

The plan was to get a UniSync on there but when they were locked together side to side setting them became impossible

Thanks for getting me headed in the right direction