illest's 70' five one oh

View and post your 510 project(s)
illest

illest's 70' five one oh

Post by illest »

Well this is my 70' 2dr project that I picked up in August. I got it from a non-dimer who was looking to unload it and I hadn't had a 510 in years but was just itching to get my hands on one again. It came to me "running" and in stock condition with a truck load of parts (as you can see below).

To start I needed to get the car running and stopping which was easy enough. It needed a full tune up, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Coil, and Brake Pads (it really needed new pads).

After going through my parts and doing some planning I ordered a set of wheels so I could get that thing lower. I sat so high I felt like a rally car driver. :lol:
It took me a few weeks to make up my mind but in the end I decided on a set of SSR MKII's at a good price.

What I had over looked was the lug nuts for my new wheels which ended up taking 5 weeks to get because of the shank style and size that I needed. So in the mean time I took to the interior of the car. First gutting it and then cleaning up my rusty, crusty floors (this was the worst of it)

I then slapped some POR-15 on them so that I could sleep better at night.

While waiting on those lugs I got the rest of my suspension parts together. New shocks and springs front and rear and fresh ball joints and tie rod ends too (adjustable "McMasters" clamps)

At last my lugs arrived and I could get to work!
illest

Re: illest's 70' five one oh

Post by illest »

With all my parts I waisted no time in taking the car apart.

After two days I had this and was able to get a mini feature on speedhunters!

I have started using the 510 as my Daily Driver so I turned to the interior and with winter here I rebuilt the heater, fresh air vents, threw in some 350z door vents, and replaced my crumbling steering wheel with a freshly rewrapped 720 steering wheel.

I'm planning on putting in an L20b with EFI but that wont be until some time next year. Right now I'm putting in sound deadening, carpet, and some new seats.
dodgydan
Supporter

Post by dodgydan »

i like the dash vents. and thats alot of spare heads.
its not the having. its the doing...
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

Making great progress!

LOVE those wheels. Always been one of my favorites. What size are they?
illest

Post by illest »

Thanks, they are 13 x 6 with just a spare set of tires I had in the garage.
shacks510

Post by shacks510 »

Please don't go EFI with an old car with a somewhat period-correct engine. I know they had it back then, but the thought of a fuel injected L series engine sounds yucky; plus, carburation sounds nice, espically with dual carbs. My Mikuni's sound really nice, even if the engine is too small for them :lol: But that's just my 2 cents... Carbs are simple, I wouldn't want a bunch of wires to deal with for EFI. One cable is fine for me.
illest

Post by illest »

Well I'm going with L series EFI, its analog and only has a few wires. Better gas milage, power, and once its running no hassel. It will be the same (more or less) set up as the one on the DQ. Carbs are a bitch and cost a ton for a good rebuilt set this is going to be driven every day so EFI is a much better choice.
shacks510

Post by shacks510 »

illest wrote:Well I'm going with L series EFI, its analog and only has a few wires. Better gas milage, power, and once its running no hassel. It will be the same (more or less) set up as the one on the DQ. Carbs are a bitch and cost a ton for a good rebuilt set this is going to be driven every day so EFI is a much better choice.
Whatever works for you. If you're happy, that's all that matters. Are you gonna get rid of that automatic and put in a 5 speed? Would seem logical when doing any engine swap, and with the power potential of a L20B, wouldn't make sense to keep an auto trans, and manual's are cooler 8)

My dad has a W53 closed chamber peanut head with the fuel injection cutouts on the intake ports, but that's broken now. It can be fixed, but we have another head that works for now. Just a note, don't use water for a long period of time! Especially with copper gasket sealer...
illest

Post by illest »

Ya I will put a 5 speed in at some point, I have one and the petals too. I also have a LSD to put in it.
illest

Post by illest »

My interior is now 80% done! Sound deadening, new carpet, seats and belts!
Datsun 1600 Nut
Supporter

Post by Datsun 1600 Nut »

Very nice looking project man!

Those MkII's are sweet as F#%& and the vents look really good man!

Keep up the updates...
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place..."

Current Car's:
1971 P510 1600 SSS Coupe
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1973 P510 1600 SSS
1973 620 Pickup
1979 PA10 1600J
1980 280ZX