"The Shed"

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
gooned

Re: "The Shed"

Post by gooned »

Byron510 wrote: I may go for a 15' wide door to facilitate turning into the garage with greater ease.

Speaking of the door, a good friend (gooned) built a vertical bi-fold garage door. Personally I love the idea, and may have to bug him for some more details to build

Byron
Yeah you can never go wrong with more door width, other than loosing wall inside of course...I purposely kept mine in from the near edge so I could use that wall without intruding on come & go space...but it's all a trade off of course. I think the rotated layout is worth considering for at least a couple reasons: can't see in from road, less building face looming at the house, you can be much more decorative with a wall that doesn't have the huge door on it, and your neighbors will also share some these advantages.

Door design details will cost you dearly - BUT - I'll gladly sub-let my team of high dollar engineers to design a working door plan you can build for only ONE bag full of money :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

...or just call PR 'cause he drew it out after I measured it up :wink:
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

I really like this layout but I would have the bathroom between the bedroom & the kitchen. :mrgreen:
Attachments
tumblr_mxi1evVXcC1sahaopo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mxi1evVXcC1sahaopo1_500.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That's pretty close James :D

Although I figure I can omit the kitchen. As any real cooking can easily be accomplished more efficiently on the welding table with the torch set near by.
Also the bedroom can be omitted because there must be a bench seat laying around.

:D

Trust me, the planning, engineering, thinking, plotting, replanning, reengineering, rethinking cycle is making days longer and nights shorter at the moment.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

A funny thread about a guy building a (SHED) out in the valley .....funny Stuff,
the Writer has some priceless comments ,as the pages goes on!...it just gets better..Byron,please dont get any insperation from this one..lol..The Shed of Doom
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showt ... don-t-even.....
gooned

Post by gooned »

Jeez Greg... I just lost a good chunk of Sunday morning to this, it's A MUST SEE :lol:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, much has taken place since I last posted here.

Greg - I wish I could have read this link when the photos were there - even the test sounds funny.

So, I'm now moved in. And preparing for construction is under way. Clean up is the first order of business. It would appear that the last owner – or possibly the last two owners – simply hid stuff. First there was a pile of clipping from various trees around the yard. It’s just over a ¼ acre lot, 12500 sq ft and it has a number of trees which I like. Half of them are in the wrong place, but I like trees.
So there were first three loads that looked like this…
Attachments
IMG_2309 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2309 (Medium).JPG (234.73 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

There are going to be a few more of these...

BTW, never used a chainsaw in my life - I'm really trying not to lose any limbs as it slow things down too much.
However I am working on the art of chain saw blade sharpening - not mastered, but getting better....
Attachments
IMG_2305 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2305 (Medium).JPG (229.61 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
IMG_2306 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2306 (Medium).JPG (232.12 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Now the goal at the moment is to push an existing 16X20 garden shed, of questionable construction, rearward on the lot about 50’…..

It will be used as a temporary structure during construction, and will then be taken down once 'The Shed' is at least framed up, enclosed and secure.
Attachments
Garden Shed move.jpg
Garden Shed move.jpg (63.51 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So to accomplish this small first goal, there is a triple tree and a wood shed that are in the way.

I need to point out something that a previous owner left behind - and a note for later. The yellow arrow shows a steel pole cemented into the ground. As you can see, it has been quite useful.

Green arrow indicates tree I will keep as I think I can slide just past it… Hopefully I won’t regret this later.
Attachments
IMG_2315 mod.JPG
IMG_2315 mod.JPG (288.38 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Depending on how far you are along you could turn 510 day into a foundation digging or shed raising party. Put us all to work!
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Pictured here is the next task – the wood shed demolition.

I opted to “test” the strength of that steel pole cemented into the ground. As previous photos showed, the wood shed had a pretty good lean to the neighbor’s fence. Thinking the weed shed would come down easily, I took all the chain O owned, coupled together with 2 chain blocks and a tow rope, and I started pulling. The cemented in pole didn’t move at all, but I was keeping a very close eye on the rigging. However that old wood shed put up a good fight. Just after I took this shot, I could see the back side 1.5’ off the ground, but the shed was still in one piece…..
Attachments
IMG_2348 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2348 (Medium).JPG (270.49 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
IMG_2349 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2349 (Medium).JPG (318.13 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
IMG_2350 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2350 (Medium).JPG (311.84 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Today’s task is to clean up a bit, cut the shed up into manageable sized chunks that I can drag out of the way and clean up the debris laying around and clear the way for the garden shed to be moved into this area.

And through this, I did get to see the Bronze in storage at my father’s place last night while over for Easter dinner… but I’m afraid it won’t see much use this year – “The Shed” is the focus.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_2352 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2352 (Medium).JPG (328 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
IMG_2313 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2313 (Medium).JPG (107.36 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

funwithmonkeys wrote:Depending on how far you are along you could turn 510 day into a foundation digging or shed raising party. Put us all to work!
It’d sure be nice if the foundation was in by then, we'll have to see. I've call three contractors over the past month - yet to have one show up to take a look at the job after no less than 4 appointments made. I was warned about that aspect.

However I think the foundation job will be a job left to machines. A 30X45 foot print is quite a bit of material to remove, and replaced by quite a bit of more suitable material to be under a slab. The driveway itself also needs some "recon touring" as well. As the yard is all clay, I am preparing myself for a hell of a mess initially.

Byron
gooned

Post by gooned »

Byron510 wrote:
funwithmonkeys wrote:Depending on how far you are along you could turn 510 day into a foundation digging or shed raising party. Put us all to work!
It’d sure be nice if the foundation was in by then, we'll have to see. I've call three contractors over the past month - yet to have one show up to take a look at the job after no less than 4 appointments made. I was warned about that aspect.

However I think the foundation job will be a job left to machines. A 30X45 foot print is quite a bit of material to remove, and replaced by quite a bit of more suitable material to be under a slab. The driveway itself also needs some "recon touring" as well. As the yard is all clay, I am preparing myself for a hell of a mess initially.

Byron
Can be a tough deal to find a good contractor for work around the home, the one I like to use is always in high demand, but he is the best you will find...and he has a bitchin red 510 too 8)

It's amazing what a couple rounds of spoil trucks back hauling gravel will accomplish in a day with a competent excavator operator, just be sure to work the base gravel in from the road as you remove said clay or you'll never clean up the mess.

Got your permit yet :?:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks for the heads up on the gravel - agreed I don’t want to make a huge clay mess around the house if it can at all be avoided.

Permit process is just about to begin. I have to complete a legal survey as the city has nothing on file for my property!! ???? So I have to foot the bill. We couldn't find metal pins, so it's likely that this place was staked out in cedar... in 1959. Fat chance they are still there. $1800 job for a legal survey - that commences this week. The same surveyor said he'd place markers for me to the shop dimensions I request, and will sign off on the local paperwork once the forms are in place. That has to be done and signed off by the city before the concrete can be poured.

I may also get the services in before digging the foundation. Anyone know if a ditch witch can handle going through cedar hedge roots? There is a 14' tall cedar hedge on my neigh bouts property with trunks about 5' away from where my service trench will be. I suspect I'll be hitting roots. Will a ditch witch chew through these without serious difficulty? Anyone tried in the past?

I chopped up the last of the old wood shed, it’s now in a nice pile. I wish I could just light it off and be rid of it, but alas this is city life. I’ll have to haul it away. However at $20 a tonne, it won’t take much. There was likely more crap cleaned up from around the building than what the building itself was made out of. I don’t think a single Reno in this house over the past 60 years had a single scrap hauled away – it was just piled behind the wood shed all these years. What a mess – here’s the pile of wood…

But I'm left with a 3" think concrete pad for now, I think it'll just get burries under the new driveway however. For now the garden shed will get pushed over it.
Attachments
IMG_2358 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2358 (Medium).JPG (250.09 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
IMG_2356 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2356 (Medium).JPG (334.18 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
IMG_2355 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2355 (Medium).JPG (322.66 KiB) Viewed 3756 times