More
Attachments
P1041214 (Large).jpeg
P1041214 (Large).jpeg (487.29 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
P1041213 (Large).jpeg
P1041213 (Large).jpeg (465.54 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
P1041212 (Large).jpeg
P1041212 (Large).jpeg (477.72 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Alveen240/610

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2021

Post by Alveen240/610 »

Keith you forgot to mention we took the Sardis exit off hwy1, my corolla felt lucky almost kissing the red machine at 170 ¥¥¥. That was the best moment of the entire trip.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

YES...there were a few moments on that trip that got my eyes wide open.

I do need to check further on what is going on with my Carb/motor, as at that speed my exhaust temp was way too high with that leaned out jet. Into the 13's and 1,500 F just NOT right.

The whole "part throttle at speed" thing has always been the toughest thing to get right in my car. I can do ANY speed on the primary, as I get ZERO manifold pressure, but, that gets it very lean. In the "old" days, I thought nothing of boosting up any of our big climbs, as the carb was fully jetted for WOT.

Normally on a high speed cruise at part throttle, I would be in the 13's yet the exhaust was only 1250 -1300.

In talking to Andy the other day, we are going to look at the timing to see if it might be retarded a tad. I did have distributor out some time back and I might not have gotten it back at the right mark. I must admit I never thought to check the timing and alos check that my boost retard is working ok. Heck, there are 40+ years on that distributor, won't hurt to check the advance springs, etc.. There are a lot of tricks in that distributor.

Jon and I had a guy in a BMW, heading to the Mission bridge, who thought he was going to be first at the merge lane......we put him in his place and then sucked him into the tight sweeper, as we did NOT use our brakes....THAT woke him up....

You should put some good tires on that Toyota!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Keith, are you talking about that point where you are riding the top end of the primary and the turbo starts to build positive pressure but you have not yet opened up the secondary, and the net result is lean surging?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Rob,

First we must remember that my car was built as a "sprinter", corner to corner, then evolving to the uphill battle at Knox.

I can truly get to and maintain any speed, at close to or just at ZERO vacuum...NO BOOST REQUIRED. It was never really jetted for top end of the primary. It does NOT surge in the classic sense of "lean surge" been there, I know what that is like.

My short gearing just kills me now, as most STUFF on the road at freeway speeds is now at 120 - 130. I'm turning 4,500 - 5,000 RPM at very little primary throttle opening.. I love my acceleration so that is NOT going to change.

At Solo and Knox corners, at such light load really, to maintain cornering speed, then..BLAMO...WOT!

I really think Andy may be right, timing is retarded a hair, likely when I took the distributor out and then missed my index mark putting it back in.

In the spring maintenance, we will of course check timing, boost retard and advance curve again. A lot of things are modified in that distributor, As our drives have a much faster cruise at time, I may just drop the air corrector one full size. In looking back in my log book, I see I played going from 160 to 150 on the primary air.

Anyhow, it will be something simple, I had it right for a LOT of years. 20 to be exact since this engine was built and the distributor was done back in 1984.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Here is an example of 80 mph cruise, light load, A/f good, exhaust 1,280...that is ok. 1,500 not ok.

This was up on the Coke and as you can see, air temp going into motor was pretty cold at 40F. Who knows what air density was.
Attachments
IMGP3240 (Large).jpeg
IMGP3240 (Large).jpeg (331.66 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Did you and Andy ever measure back-pressure between exhaust ports and the turbo?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

No, never did.

A zillion years ago Dick Garret and I checked the loss from the air box across the carb to the manifold. We loaded the motor to WOT and then could see the pressure loss/drop across the throttle, it was virtually zero drop across the throttle.

That was on my original motor so all bets are off as to where it might be. I need a camera on the gauges, everything happens too fast now.

I still have that 1.1 housing.....to the moon Ralph

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Great pictures and what a nice October adventure for the small group that was able to make it out. I'm hoping I can join for one or more mainland drives next year.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Owen,

Yes, it would be great to have a large contingent of cars again for a drive. The last 5 years or so there have been minimal cars come out.

The whole flood thing put our last drive route mostly under water, lucky we got it in when we did! It is amazing the destruction on the Coke and what the ripple effect back is for the supply chain. My van was empty yesterday so I got up at the crack of dawn today to get my allotment of fuel, what with this gasoline rationing. Line ups where starting when I got there at 7;00 AM. Yesterday, coming back from Golden Ears park, the lineups in Cloverdale gas stations were insane, such panic.

On we go at any rate, the cars put away for the winter, which is already too long for me, as a SAD's sufferer.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Message for 68wagon...I tried your email, it said it was blocked!?

Don't know why you cannot read Pm's from this site.

I saw on the news a few minutes ago the total loss of the wonderful twisty section, just before Spences Bridge, the whole section of highway is GONE!!!!

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

bertvorgon wrote: 20 Nov 2021 10:28 Hey Owen,

Yes, it would be great to have a large contingent of cars again for a drive. The last 5 years or so there have been minimal cars come out.

The whole flood thing put our last drive route mostly under water, lucky we got it in when we did! It is amazing the destruction on the Coke and what the ripple effect back is for the supply chain. My van was empty yesterday so I got up at the crack of dawn today to get my allotment of fuel, what with this gasoline rationing. Line ups where starting when I got there at 7;00 AM. Yesterday, coming back from Golden Ears park, the lineups in Cloverdale gas stations were insane, such panic.

On we go at any rate, the cars put away for the winter, which is already too long for me, as a SAD's sufferer.
Hey Keith - weather has been pretty nice on the island since the massive downpour last week. I still have a vibration issue that I'm trying to sort but took the 510 for a solid rip on Saturday. I hope I never go deaf - gawd I love the sound of that engine pulling hard. Had a bit of fun, but took it mostly moderate.

And then the new car showed up on Monday night :^) - I am posting separately on that and will want lots of advice. I've officially get myself into a major project and seriously have a car problem - help! :^).
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Looks like quite the project!

We sure lucked out getting that last drive in right before this nightmare hit. We see now the extent of the damage to so much infrastructure. My favorite video cam feeds for the Fraser Canyon, which burned up during the fires, still have not been replaced.

Vibrations can be tough to track down. Is it at higher speed? Make sure driveshaft angularity is good. I have no sense of how much work Andy did on that car, so something might have got missed. Check half shaft universals.

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Yes, I am at the super excited phase and fully prepared for feeling completely depleted as it all unfolds :^). I've pretty much inventoried all the "stuff" that came with the car and it is pretty complete and there are some really nice parts. The seats are amazing, the ISR manifold and plenum are artwork. My next step is to layout at least a high level workplan, starting with major phases and then starting to add all the details on each thing I will need to do between now and first run.

The vibration comes on around 75MPH and seems to increase beyond that, but I'm not on roads that permit unlimited testing of whether it declines at some point. I believe driveshaft angles are good - pretty much straight on, but I will throw it on the lift to double check that. Half shaft universals could be an issue - I will definitely check that. Thanks!
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Duplicate
Last edited by ostaylor on 24 Nov 2021 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI