Engine Rev Up

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Engine Rev Up

Post by PMCS Rally »

My restoration of '71 is almost complete and took 17 years to get here. Basically stock with L18 Weber 32/36 manual choke (bought new and installed 10 years ago), A/T conversion to 5-speed manual.

Problem I am having is hard starting and rev up. Need a starting fluid to start. Once started running, when I step on the gas pedal (pass 1/2) engine does not rev up. It feels like engine hesitating by gas overflow. Replaced fuel pump and filter but it did not change. Clean plugs. I am checking:

1) Timing
2) Vacuum advance
3) Weber
4) Leak at intake manifold
5) Fuel Line return (?)

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Engine Rev Up

Post by datzenmike »

If you need to squirt starter fluid then the choke is not set rich enough. Failure to rev up properly when cold is also a sign that the choke is not set rich enough. When cold the internal parts of the engine are cold and this heat is what helps evaporate the fuel introduced by the carburetor. To help overcome this the choke forces an over rich condition to assure that as much gas as possible evaporates so the engine can run properly as it warms up.

Pull choke cable to on and look and make sure the choke butterfly is closed.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Re: Engine Rev Up

Post by PMCS Rally »

Ran without air cleaner and butterfly close/open by the cable OK. I need to step on the gas pedal gradually (very slowly) to accelerate.

By the way I like my stock choke cable but it is 2" short for Weber. I do not want to use the cable came with Weber. Is there any way to extend the stock choke cable?
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners