Update Project KA24DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
wilderb

Re: Update Project KA24DET w/CV's

Post by wilderb »

These stub axles are also 31 spline instead of the stock 510 25 spline or Z car 27 spline
what z car had the 27 spline count? I have been trying to find 27spline count stub axles to use with my WRX STI diff, any info will be appreciated
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

With Mario, it's all about timing, when I bought a few things from him he just happened to have them, so I got them fast, Maybe when nickledime called to get his car in, Mario probably already had a one or two going at that time....he is definitely reserved as to who's stuff he works, but he was cool to me even though he didn't build my car....plus I am not in Cali either, but I did get the chance to go down and meet him in person, I think that has a lot to do with getting his attention, he's a "talk to me in person" type of guy which might explain not selling things on the net....I only wish I had more experience and mechanical ability....I would gladly take your $30,000!!!!!! (i could use it)

edit......your car is coming along really nice....get it on the street and enjoy it!!!
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

If I am not mistaken they were either the 280Z or ZX. We were going to use the Modern Motorsport rear 5 lug stub axles until we found out that the Z's had a larger bearing and would not fit our trailing arms. That is when Mario at TSR had to have his own produced for our application as a lot of his customers are going 5 lug wheels and CV's.

Nickleanddime - Sorry Mario couldn't take care of you but I will give you some background. He is a small one person operation and has a small shop that can only have one or maybe two project cars is there at one time. My car has been there for 2+ years as we kept changing things as we went along and has been waiting for parts. A lot of the cars that have Mario parts have bought the parts and installed by their owners. He does make a lot of parts and offers them to anyone who is interested but like goichi1 stated that he was lucky when he ordered parts that he had them in stock. He makes mostly small runs of parts and sells them to people who are waiting and puts a few in inventory. He does not have the capital to keep large inventories on hand. He does great work and I am willing to wait and be happy with what I get than worry about getting it done quicker and not being happy with the work. I don't have the time to dedicate to getting it together myself or I would. He is also close to me so I can go to his shop and help with some of the tasks as time allows. He is really a great guy but he gets overloaded at times. Thanks for the comments on the car. Yours is looking pretty impressive as well.

Seth
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

looks like the 5/10 coastal cruise (as a passenger :P ) has motivated everyone :mrgreen:

good to see it moving forward!!!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
watts510

Post by watts510 »

looking good seth. Was looking at your car last night and it definitely has show stopper written all over it with those wheels and the brembos. Those 930 cv's are beefy.
Procrastinate now why wait for later ? :)
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

Finally some update on the car. Got the rearend rebuilt, all new bearings and seals as well as a Quaiffe differential.

this is what it looked like before installing in the crossmember. The rearend is set up for Porsche 930 CV's without using any adapters. All the CV rearend pieces are made out of 4340 Chrome-Moly (5 lug Stub axles, companion flange, rearend stub axles as well as the axles) so should be pretty grenade proof.

Here it is installed in the fully adjustable rear crossmember. The trailing arms are just about together but had the wrong seals so they were ordered and will be here later this week so I can finish putting the arms together.

Now some pictures of the work that needs to get done to have the car running by 510 day for Merlin to see how much there is left to do.
Need to finish the wheelwells

Interior needs to be put back together after the wheelwells are made.

Intake manifold still needs to be made as well as the exhaust system and downpipe and the beloved wiring. My work is cut out for me.

Seth
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Progress!!! Looks good. I might have to pick up the pace on my car.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Shit are you going to have to cut out the spare tire well to fit that diff cooler :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

I will find out tomorow when I go to install the rear suspension. I will post pics when it is installed.

Seth
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Can't believe no one commented on your trailing arms! Whoever thought to do that must be a genius.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

What did they do to the trailing arms??
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

ktberube wrote:Can't believe no one commented on your trailing arms! Whoever thought to do that must be a genius.
goichi1 wrote:What did they do to the trailing arms??
Cut out the spring perch and welded a circle plate to fill in the hole. That means Kieth is a genius because he told me to do it about 2 years ago...but I forgot to do it before powder coating :oops:
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

oh, I got it! thanks....looks good!
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Cut out the spring perch and welded a circle plate to fill in the hole. That means Kieth is a genius because he told me to do it about 2 years ago.
Not exactly, but I guess we will wait until the car is done for more photos because a lot more was done to the arms than covering the spring perch. Funny spelling for a genius. The earlier comment about the arms was for the car owner's amusement.
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Any progress? I should plant some grass and watch it grow waiting for an update.