rims yes again

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
BlackWidow

rims yes again

Post by BlackWidow »

I have read every post i can find about wheels and fitment on the 510. I have a four door and am not looking to do flares in the back. HOWEVER I will if I have too. I would like to get wheels that have the same offset all around for two reasons a. its easy to rotate tires that way and i would like to have only one spare and not two. I have looked at many pictures of wheels and how they look under the dime. I do not want absurd camber in the rear i fully intend on getting the parts to make the rear fully adjustable. I love driving my car on the street but it is not a daily driver I drive very aggressive and plan on taking it to track days often. I do not want to loose any adjust-ability with tire selection I also do not like stretched tires. I have 280ZX struts up front and plan on installing shortened 280ZX struts in the near future. Currently the back is stock except the spring rate. I plan on going to coilovers in the rear too. I am running the Iron cross 14 inch rims right now. My major isssue is tire selection for this rim. So i need to upgrade. I absolutely love the look of Aero steel wheels. the series 55 15x7 have a 3 1/2 inch back space which according to this site https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html is -12 offset. I also looked at DR20 wheels which come in a 0 offset (Flares required) or a +10 offset. Will this require flares ? There is another wheel i looked at and thats a VOXX wheel that has a +20 offset. If my reading is correct then they should fit un-flared in the rear and i will need a spacer up front would this wheel allow me to have the adjust-ability that i require? I know i can go get the 0 offset wheels and flare the car and it will work. If I dont have to flare the car that is much better. I know I am not the only one who wishes there was a better selection of 13 inch tires. Thats what i would run all the time. I always hoped that with all the small cars they are making 13s would come back. Anyway any knowledge you can provide would be great. I didnt mention it before but I am also looking for inexpensive wheels. Thanks
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
defdes
Supporter

Re: rims yes again

Post by defdes »

Unless you are bent on getting 15's, stay with the 14's there are still quite a few very good high performance summer tires out there.
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

Do you have examples I cruised Tire rack and could not find any good summer tire I am currently running General Altimax RT. but the RT tires are an all season tire. I have considered staying with the 14's I do like the I think they fit well I would just like a high performance tire for them. Thanks for the input I just may take your advice.
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I like the Falken RT-615K in 195/60/14. Work surprisingly well in the snow!
Jason
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Ha. ha...any tire that works well in the snow, I would not consider a summer performance tire....

That's funny Jason :lol:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

If you do plan to go with a new rim, the 15x7 +20 with a small spacer up front should fit your car using a 195 or 205/50-15 tires. The fender lip may need to be rolled with the 205 tire, depending on the ride height you end up at.

FutoFab sell a 15x7 +18 in the VTO Retro 4 (silver) and the Lemans (gray). We did a quick trial fit these wheels on a stock fender 510 and with 205/50 Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tire and the clearance is tight. I would anticipate rolling the fender lips especially if you plan to use the car on track.

If you are looking for a sure fit, go with a 15x6 +24 w/195/50 tires and use spacers to compensate for the 280ZX hub placement. These fit an unflared 510 w/o rolling the fenders.

Here are pictures of the 15x7 +18 Lemans w/205/50 Dunlops on the rear of a 510 2 door (the car is on jack stands).

Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I have the 205/60/14 Dunlop Direzza... looks like tire rack only carries the 185's now http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Sizes
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

bertvorgon wrote:Ha. ha...any tire that works well in the snow, I would not consider a summer performance tire....

That's funny Jason :lol:
Heh, I mean I got caught in the snow with them one autocross, drove on them to and from Boundary Bay and back home without killing myself Keith :lol: ! That was fun, I wonder if if I have a picture ....

Hah, found them, notice all of the human ballast 8) :lol: !
Jason
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That's awesome! If only you could sell they were Azenis. You should send that in to Falken.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

That was fun! Sure slippery though! Hmm, I never thought about sending the picture to Falken either, too bad you can't tell they are a summer hi performance radial ....
Jason