General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
ostaylor
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by ostaylor »

Nice looking 68 (or maybe 69?).
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

ostaylor wrote: 06 Mar 2023 21:55 Nice looking 68 (or maybe 69?).
68 I've had it since 2006ish daily drove it then tore it down to restore it. Finally almost together. Turns out I like beaters. Nice cars are dumb. way to much work, also to stressful.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Great day removed front trim and fenders to start detailing the engine bay.
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

started working on the custom air filter assembly for the Z Sus
did a cardboard mock up first and sent to a local shop to have it put together,
Ill be using radius stacks , and a PCV tube like the OEM air boxes

loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Did some inventory; found some parts for install, and also found some parts for sale (they are posted in the classified section). Everything on the table is for install.
Felt intimidated, and anxious, that the install will take too long. Also got a welded r180 to be installed "while I'm there".
Attachments
IMG_0859.r.jpg
IMG_0859.r.jpg (52.88 KiB) Viewed 362 times
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Looks like a great setup... Mind if I ask what you went with for the coilovers and brakes and how you reached that decision? I am researching now and leaning towards T3... expensive but adjustable rears and great reviews.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

This has been a collection over a number of years. A slowly-but-surely type of approach. Recognizing that most components on the table impact others in way or another, I didn't see the need to upgrade one at a time.

The coilovers are an older set; I think T3 has changed their design over the years, so we'll see how it goes. They are all based on the 280zx hubs/strut up front. But, the only part I'm using from my 280zx are the hubs at this point. The brakes are the micro-brake kit and look good; I'm surprised at how light the Wilwood calipers are.

I didn't feel like piecing together from different manufacturers and T3 has been at it as long as anyone else. Ermish is the only other fabricator I seriously considered, but was missing a few parts that T3 has gone out and designed. So, in the end, I felt T3 has a more complete solution for steering/suspension/brakes. From my research, the other manufacturers I looked at were: Ermish, Silvermine, DP Racing, FutoFab, MadDat, DatSport

I'm dedicated to keeping my stock e-brake; the solution is there, but we'll see how it goes. I may need to spend more time on that part of my braking system. I have only to buy a new master cylinder; going with a 7/8" for that nice pedal feel.

The control arms are their GT2 setup, which I really like due to the adjustability. Planning on using blue loctite on everything. What's not on the table are my race/bearings for the 280zx hubs, but they are new as well. Using a cool little device to pack the bearings that should work better than a palm full of grease. I'll have to post a picture of that too. The hubs are getting painted in POR15 brake caliper paint, which I was planning to use on the 280zx calipers...until I decided to list them.

The final consideration I have, which I am just going to roll with, is how my ARE Libre's are going to fit with the new brakes/coilovers. They are 14", and the brakes are designed for 14", so the remaining factor is the offset and how that will play with the 280zx coilovers...we'll see. I have a set of 15" basket weaves on the wall, but I really don't want to buy new tires as I've only got a couple thousand miles on my existing set. Last time I talked to T3 about wheel size recommendations, they noted 15x7 +15 offset. I think I am currently at 14x6 +0.

Super long explanation, I hope this answers your question.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Amazing - thanks for sharing your thinking! I have purchased the Apex Engineered front and rear suspension. The adjustability really intrigued me and their reputation (maybe more so in the S30 world...) is very good (if not a bit slow in communication at time). I am likely going with 15" wheels although I haven't decided what yet. When I spoke to T3 they certainly seemed to know their stuff. They were familiar with the Apex Engineered setup and were offered to help ensure compatibility. With the timing of my build, I am likely to wait for the Black Friday discount as it seems to be the only time that they offer anything substantial and given the order size, it would save me quite a lot.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

I really, really like what Apex Engineered put together for a replacement of front/rear suspension. I'm eagerly looking forward to some install photos and a review. Their front control arms look pretty identical to what T3 put together, which can be seen sitting on my table. Mimicry isn't anything new in the aftermarket world...just look at what T3 did with Dadsun's rear diff hardware (essentially copied it). And yes, I timed my purchases to primarily happen on T3 discount days! T3 has good support. They've messed up on a few of my items, but were quick to replace parts and/or send out new ones...they pay it forward and it shows.

I've got a few items yet, but down the road. Steering box and idler to be rebuilt some day. Adjustable rear crossmember with reinforced strut mounts. Replace (or repack) rear wheel bearings. It's never ending. And, when ALL that is completed...then I'll start on building up one of the KA's I have in the garage into a KA24DE.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I think the order processing is falling apart for everyone with staff shortages and probably lots of people working their build projects. My Apex order was missing a bunch of stuff as well. I was hoping the replacements would be here for this coming weekend, but not looking good at this point.

I splurged on a Silvermine Power Steering setup (was that also copied from Dadzun? I know he had one but stopped making it as well). That arrives tomorrow so gives me another pre-paint fitment job to do this weekend. I'll post pictures in my build thread.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

I love getting boxes :)
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

ostaylor wrote: 04 Apr 2023 19:58
I splurged on a Silvermine Power Steering setup (was that also copied from Dadzun? I know he had one but stopped making it as well).
Nice, I know you're still ways from diving the car but please make sure to do a review on this
i'm very curious about it's quality and feel
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I'll post fitment comments and pictures in my build thread soon. The quality and feel will be many months from now...
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It begins!

After almost a year of my car sitting, it's time to begin heading to the engine rebuild.

My new Carrillo pistons arrived yesterday at Specialty!!

I also went over to the garage and sat in the 510 for a few minutes, checked the electrics were all good, and then installed the nice tow hook that Jamie made me.

This would be the only way for a flat deck to get me up onto it. Too much stuff underneath
to even attach a tow hook and I would not want to risk bending ANY of my suspension stuff.

After a year of no 510, I was kinda weird to walk into the garage and see my car sitting there, all polished and ready to.

No idea when it will be heading to Specialty, it will be when it will be.

As much as the sun has been out, sure bloody cold wind in White Rock constantly, hard to get
enthusiastic about working on cars.
Attachments
P1043207 (Large).jpeg
P1043207 (Large).jpeg (329.94 KiB) Viewed 293 times
P1043206 (Large).jpeg
P1043206 (Large).jpeg (319.23 KiB) Viewed 293 times
P1043205 (Large).jpeg
P1043205 (Large).jpeg (366.74 KiB) Viewed 293 times
P1043204 (Large).jpeg
P1043204 (Large).jpeg (395.41 KiB) Viewed 293 times
Carrillo pistons.jpeg
Carrillo pistons.jpeg (98.75 KiB) Viewed 293 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

My Uncle and Aunt are visiting from the UK. Haven't seen them since well before Covid. Took him for a drive in the 510 and the Tiger. He drove a Tiger back in the late 60s, so that brought back some memories. He liked the 510 but a bit loud, harsh and scary fast for his 85 years :shock: :lol:
72 510 out for a rip.jpg
72 510 out for a rip.jpg (374.57 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Tiger rip.jpg
Tiger rip.jpg (262.34 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI